Should I build a 7 Saum or 7-300 wsm?

Timnterra

I'm going to be building a mid weight rifle for western hunting. I have a Tikka Wsm action, a Mcmillan game scout stock and a broughton 1-9" twist barrel. Now i need to decide which cartridge to chamber the rifle for. I'll be using Norma or ADG brass no matter which cartridge I go with so that's pretty even. The wsm has a bigger case and holds the big brother 300wsm owns the 1,000yd world record smallest group, but the Saum is known for accuracy and easy tuning. I love and hunt in the west and this will be used for long shots on everything from antelope to elk. I'll probably be shooting 180gr bullets for the most part unless it likes the 162-168 class better.

Attachments

• CCE2670F-07C2-4BBE-ABFA-C6B43718F33A.jpeg
    CCE2670F-07C2-4BBE-ABFA-C6B43718F33A.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,739
  • 2E2D4E7A-16F7-4DFD-AAB9-78E0AA63A8CF.jpeg
    2E2D4E7A-16F7-4DFD-AAB9-78E0AA63A8CF.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 323
for me it is the 7 saum all the way. I have two including a saum imp. yes the wsm holds more powder and gain some velocity but accuracy nodes usually end up in the same range 2850-2950 depending on the barrel. as of now the saum has more brass options available than the wsm. and Norma is no longer shipping brass to the US. limiting the wsm even more, also with ADG brass limited availably and limited brass runs when it comes up for manufacture i wouldnt put much hope of getting any with everybody and their mother backordering it all ready.

the benchrest guys have been having alot of success with 300 saum imp. lately. there are some good treads on accurate shooter about them.

Thanks for the input guys. I've had a 6.5 SAUM but never a 7 SAUM. I had a 7 wsm several years ago and it shot great but brass was a problem then and I ended up using 300 wsm brass necked down and fire formed. I was hitting pressure way too early with Winchester brass and that was all I could get. I'm glad to hear the SAUM isn't leaving much on the table

Either way you go, If your using a Tikka action…
Switch it to a long action magazine, running a longer OAL will give you more case capacity.
You can run 180s over 3.0"
That's the reason I'm using a Tikka action. The action is the same overall size as a Remington long action but I figured if I was going to build on a long action I might as well do a long action caliber. But the Tikka being more of a medium action, in my opinion, is perfectly suited for the short magnum cartridges.

That's the reason I'm using a Tikka action. The action is the same overall size as a Remington long action but I figured if I was going to build on a long action I might as well do a long action caliber. But the Tikka being more of a medium action, in my opinion, is perfectly suited for the short magnum cartridges.
how long are the "WSM" mags in a tikka?

I don't know anybody with a 7-300 wsm, but the 6.5-300 wsm flat smokes a 6.5 saum by 150-200 fps. It's hard to get exact numbers because my buddies 6.5-300 is a 24" and the two saums he has built me are 22" and 23" But he runs the same bullets at speeds I could never come close to with a saum.

To me the brass situation is a wash. Saum brass isn't real easy to find, when ADG runs it it goes quick. I'm sure the ADG 300 wsm will be the same way. The flip side is you can always find 300 wsm brass of some variety whereas saum is pretty limited.

Here are two tikka wsm mags. One I removed the thin plastic at the back making use of the full length. I haven't played with feeding much so I'll have to see if it is worth it. The regular long action mags don't feed wsm cases unless you open the back end to fit the fatter case. I don't know why tikka did it this way instead of just making the long mags to fit all calibers like MTN Tactical does. I have one of their mags and it feeds everything but these factory mags sure are light weight.

Attachments

• 3896C4AB-7D0B-4A92-841B-FA82B59E10DB.jpeg
    3896C4AB-7D0B-4A92-841B-FA82B59E10DB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
and Norma is no longer shipping brass to the US.

Almost correct....they are stopping BULK brass shipments.

1640282564772.png

I would go 7saum since you are using a 9 twist. Barrel life will be close to the same, 1000+ unless you run the Ricky Bobby upper nodes. The 7/300 can hit another node the saum can't touch with a Berger 180......The saum seems to be easier to tune overall than the 7/300. Both will shoot small if you get'em right.

Almost correct....they are stopping BULK brass shipments.

View attachment 323241

I would go 7saum since you are using a 9 twist. Barrel life will be close to the same, 1000+ unless you run the Ricky Bobby upper nodes. The 7/300 can hit another node the saum can't touch with a Berger 180......The saum seems to be easier to tune overall than the 7/300. Both will shoot small if you get'em right.
Lol 😂 "Ricky Bobby upper nodes" I like that