7 saum or 7 wsm

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I'm putting a 7mm long range elk rifle together for my buddy and have been planning on 7 wsm.
I have a 7-300 wsm and it's an incredibly good shooter, but I'm not going to build a wildcat for my friend. 7 RM is out, I absolutely HATE belted mags...
I'm wanting to get 3000 FPS with 180's from a 26" barrel which is what I'm getting from my 7-300 wsm.
I know 3000 + will be easy with the 7 WSM but dang.. brass options are tough..
ADG brass is making me think the 7 SAUM might be the best way to go, has anyone played with one throated long for 180's?

25 inch barrel with 180's throated for them and I'm right at 2900 fps with RL26. Thats Rem brass. Might get more with the ADG and another inch of barrel.....
Bruce

Here we go again! 7ss, 180 Berger, ADG, brass, 3000'+. I know you said no wildcat, but it's only a wildcat by name. You load and shoot head stamped brass just like a saum and then you reload and shoot some more; just like a saum.:D
Sounds like a great round, but from what I understand there's identical performance to the standard SAUM just made to function in a true short action.. I'm using my friends Tikka action so no issue there.
.280AI? I push a 175 Berger @ 2975 and that is not a max load in my 26" barrel w. RL23.

Not going to rehash the belt issue.
Tikka action so staying with a short mag that can be loaded long, really good velocity from your 280AI. From the research I've done the SAUM is supposed to run a touch faster

7mm blaser mag, run 180s through a Tikka long action @ 3.32" oal, will go over 3k for sure. Has same capacity as wsm and rem mag.

7mm blaser mag, run 180s through a Tikka long action @ 3.32" oal, will go over 3k for sure. Has same capacity as wsm and rem mag.
Now that looks pretty awesome!
Do you have experience with the Blaser mag?

I personally do not, but there are a few guys on here running it, @midnightmalloy and @Scouter, scouter is using an improved version lil less taper, 37° shoulder. It's a hot round, I don't know why it didn't catch on. Has a .317" neck, 2.35" length, same capacity and more efficient design of the 7mag. Quite a few guys in New Zealand use it as well. Hot rodded can push a 180 Berger to 3100fps, 180 eld-m over 3k. If you message me a phone number I can send you reamer drawings for the CIP/saami print, as well as the improved version.

Sounds like a great round, but from what I understand there's identical performance to the standard SAUM just made to function in a true short action.. I'm using my friends Tikka action so no issue there.

I don't know that the Saum is equal, but it will come closer with a longer coal. Regardless, the Saum is a good cartridge given enough free bore.

I'm using it and have built three full customs on Lone Peak actions and two tikkas, 24"-26" Bartlein's and 2970-3050 FPS with 180's and RL26 mine is a custom reamer setup for the 180's

Now that looks pretty awesome!
Do you have experience with the Blaser mag?

I'm using it and have built three full customs on Lone Peak actions and two tikkas, 24"-26" Bartlein's and 2970-3050 FPS with 180's and RL26 mine is a custom reamer setup for the 180's
Right on
How's brass and barrel life?
How many grains of rl26 to hit 3050?
Is the case narrow enough to cycle in a tikka la magnum magazine without modifying?

Right on
How's brass and barrel life?
How many grains of rl26 to hit 3050?
Is the case narrow enough to cycle in a tikka la magnum magazine without modifying?

Brass is lasting well so no concerns there just don't push to much pressure as per normal, I had a 7lrm before this and that had bad brass... barrel life I haven't burnt one out yet but I would expect rem mag or similar and between 67-69 of Rl26 and yes start with a Tikka 7mm rem mag as a base

More options for brass in a 7 rsaum, but more options for factory loaded ammo for 7wsm - 7wsm is either factory once fired, or bertram for new.
If you'll never want factory ammo then Wildcats are often better. Jmo

Brass is lasting well so no concerns there just don't push to much pressure as per normal, I had a 7lrm before this and that had bad brass... barrel life I haven't burnt one out yet but I would expect rem mag or similar and between 67-69 of Rl26 and yes start with a Tikka 7mm rem mag as a base
Thanks for the feedback, I can't understand why people aren't talking about the 7 Blaser Mag, it seems pretty dang perfect.
I'm having a hard time finding any case dimensions, Is the case head .535 like WSM's and is the case body .555?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.