7 saum or 7 wsm

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
Never understood the belt issues many speak of, bump the shoulder a legit .001-.002" and don't worry about the belt. My long throated 7rem mag running 180s with RWS brass will embarrass wsm's, saum's, and most 7-300s, not to mention most 28 Noslers running worthless Nosler brass. Adg, on the other hand, will let the 28s come alive.

Never understood the belt issues many speak of, bump the shoulder a legit .001-.002" and don't worry about the belt. My long throated 7rem mag running 180s with RWS brass will embarrass wsm's, saum's, and most 7-300s, not to mention most 28 Noslers running worthless Nosler brass. Adg, on the other hand, will let the 28s come alive.

I have owned all of those cartridges. That is probably the most ridiculous statement I will read this week. You can not circumvent physics. No properly throated 7 Rem Mag is going to outrun a properly throated 28 Nolser or 7-300. The WSM has near identical case capacity and throated properly will run with a Rem mag. It is great you like your 7 Rem mag but...

Thanks for the feedback, I can't understand why people aren't talking about the 7 Blaser Mag, it seems pretty dang perfect.
I'm having a hard time finding any case dimensions, Is the case head .535 like WSM's and is the case body .555?
Available ammo and brass would be my guess- it's still pretty much a wildcat in the US

Thanks for the feedback, I can't understand why people aren't talking about the 7 Blaser Mag, it seems pretty dang perfect.
I'm having a hard time finding any case dimensions, Is the case head .535 like WSM's and is the case body .555?

Because you get 97% of the performance with a SAUM burning 17% less powder in a lighter weight, easier to cycle short action. Case has a long neck, multiple options for brass and better barrel life, lower SD's, and tons of load data to refer to.

I have owned all of those cartridges. That is probably the most ridiculous statement I will read this week. You can not circumvent physics. No properly throated 7 Rem Mag is going to outrun a properly throated 28 Nolser or 7-300. The WSM has near identical case capacity and throated properly will run with a Rem mag. It is great you like your 7 Rem mag but...

You can if the brass falls apart in 2-3 firings, RWS holding primers tight at 6-7 firings at 180s north of 3100. Weak link in the 28 and 7-300 is the brass, solve that problem then the other aspects of physics can be applied. Not sure what you mean by properly throated, if Sammi is your game then you must come across ridiculous statements all the time.

Yes standard magnum boltface but slightly smaller at the base than the wsm or saum at .546 if I recall right

You can if the brass falls apart in 2-3 firings, RWS holding primers tight at 6-7 firings at 180s north of 3100. Weak link in the 28 and 7-300 is the brass, solve that problem then the other aspects of physics can be applied. Not sure what you mean by properly throated, if Sammi is your game then you must come across ridiculous statements all the time.

This will be my last reply to you as it has nothing to do with the OP. I have used every brass I am aware of. Yes Bertram and RWS are better at holding primer pockets but they also have less case capacity. Therefore they typically do not yield the highest velocities compared to the "softer" more voluminous brass which further proves your statement incorrect. Anyone who considers SAAMI to be optimal in 99.9% of cartridges obviously is clueless. One thing I do actually agree with you on is the belt being a non issue. The 28 Nosler and the 7-300 will run 180s over 3200 before hitting pressure. There is absolutely no way a 7mm rem mag will come close.

I'm putting a 7mm long range elk rifle together for my buddy and have been planning on 7 wsm.
I have a 7-300 wsm and it's an incredibly good shooter, but I'm not going to build a wildcat for my friend. 7 RM is out, I absolutely HATE belted mags...
I'm wanting to get 3000 FPS with 180's from a 26" barrel which is what I'm getting from my 7-300 wsm.
I know 3000 + will be easy with the 7 WSM but dang.. brass options are tough..
ADG brass is making me think the 7 SAUM might be the best way to go, has anyone played with one throated long for 180's?

What makes you not want to do a wildcat? Factory ammo? As you know necking down 300WSM or necking up 270WSM brass adds very little time or difficulty to the process. If you are wanting 3000fps my choices would be 7-300wsm, 7wsm, 7saum in that order. If you are not so dead set on 3000fps I would lean more towards the saum.

What makes you not want to do a wildcat? Factory ammo? As you know necking down 300WSM or necking up 270WSM brass adds very little time or difficulty to the process. If you are wanting 3000fps my choices would be 7-300wsm, 7wsm, 7saum in that order. If you are not so dead set on 3000fps I would lean more towards the saum.
I'm digging my 7-300 wsm but there's a few reasons why I wouldn't build one for my friend.
1. It takes more work screwing around with sizing up or down, I actually have to neck turn my 270 wsm brass that I sized up because sizing up makes the shoulder neck junction thicker.
I'll be loading for my friend and want to keep it simple.
2. If he ever starts loading for himself a wildcat won't do him any favors.
If Hornady 7wsm brass holds primers it'd be my first choice, can't seem to get any feedback on it..

One thing you should keep in mind is powder choice. I personally like H1000 above all other powders. You'll have to burn 5-6 more grains of powder in the wsm to get the 50 or so FPS gain over saum. There is a big nice node with the 180's and H1000 or RL 23 around 2930 with a 26" barrel.

One thing you should keep in mind is powder choice. I personally like H1000 above all other powders. You'll have to burn 5-6 more grains of powder in the wsm to get the 50 or so FPS gain over saum. There is a big nice node with the 180's and H1000 or RL 23 around 2930 with a 26" barrel.
That's really good velocity with H1000 in a SAUM, I hit pressure around 2875 with that combo in my 7-300 WSM. RL26 got me to 3k pretty easily, seems the SAUM would get there too..

I have a 7WSM. With middle weight bullets it eclipses the 7 Rem Mag by 100fps or so. The RSAUM is about 50fps slower than the Rem Mag. Browning and Winchester still chamber factory rifles in the WSM. The RSAUM is dead, and not just the 7mm either. Winchester was the first to the short mag party and theirs caught on particularly the .300 and .270s. There's nothing wrong with the RSAUM they were just late to the game. Same reason that the 6mm Rem and .280 Rem never really caught on.

I'll second the comment about powder choices, Whatever you go with make sure it has nothing to do with RL or VV powders as temp stability should be a consideration. RL and VV powders can yield more FPS in some instances but you can't miss fast enough right...

Another consideration is brass selection, Adg, Peterson, RWS, and Lapua will let you get more firings at higher velocities than others.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.