22” 7 saum or 24” 7 mag

baskhunter

Hey guys just ordered up a Bighorn origin LA(mag bolt face) for a lighter weight rifle build for backpacking rifle.

I am a big fan of heavy for caliber bullets and wanting to run 175-180g pills out of it.

Really liking the idea of a 22" 7 saum but have been reading a few guys saying that 180s out of a 22" pipe would be not so good.

My other idea was a 24" 7 mag but I have read the same bad things about a 24" 7 mag not being any good either?!

So I guess what I am asking is what "bad" idea would you all go with?

I am not sure what you you consider not good. Are you talking velocity? I had a 7SAUM with a 24" barrel that I could run the 175 Bergers at 2930fps. With a 22" barrel you would probably be around 2875. Obviously that depends upon the barrel, chamber, powder, etc. I also have a 7mag with a 24" barrel that I run the 175's at 2900+ with relative ease. With a high BC bullet, either one will get you out there a long way. Out of the two, I would go with the 7SAUM just because I have had great luck easily finding accurate loads for it.

Well I was hoping to be able to run them around 2800fps. From the few that have replied it sounds like that should be pretty doable.

The main thing I am wanting to do is keep the overall length fairly short. I like to run brakes and am thinking a 22" saum with a break will be under or around 24" overall and running it with a long action should give me a little more room for powder.

I'm going with a 22" 7 SAUM. Have an 8" suppressor that I'll hunt with, so 22" barrel makes it a bit easier to maneuver.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.