7 SAUM or 30-06?

MSU Marksman

I've got that itch for a new custom, but I'm stuck trying to choose between these two calibers. The actually have some pretty similar ballistics so that makes it even harder for me to choose.

I'd like to use this for primarily long range target shooting, maybe a few F-Class shoots a year, and minimal hunting.

That said, the 7SAUM I could load some heavy bullets way out there, and still have it feed from a magazine. However, it could be a barrel burner during some F-Class shoots.

On the other hand, the 30-06 would be better on barrel life, but I likely couldn't get heavy bullets to feed from the magazine.

Which would you choose?

I've got that itch for a new custom, but I'm stuck trying to choose between these two calibers. The actually have some pretty similar ballistics so that makes it even harder for me to choose.

I'd like to use this for primarily long range target shooting, maybe a few F-Class shoots a year, and minimal hunting.

That said, the 7SAUM I could load some heavy bullets way out there, and still have it feed from a magazine. However, it could be a barrel burner during some F-Class shoots.

On the other hand, the 30-06 would be better on barrel life, but I likely couldn't get heavy bullets to feed from the magazine.

Which would you choose?

I would recomend the 280 AI (A 270/3006 style case) necked down to .284 (7mm) because it
has moderate recoil, excellent bullet choices and is not hard on barrels.

Velocity is close to the 7mm rem mag in the AI version and if chambered correctly can be
very accurate shooting the factory 280 ammo and fire forming at the same time.

A 1 in 9 twist will shoot everything well. Just another option.

J E CUSTOM

I would recomend the 280 AI (A 270/3006 style case) necked down to .284 (7mm) because it
has moderate recoil, excellent bullet choices and is not hard on barrels.

Velocity is close to the 7mm rem mag in the AI version and if chambered correctly can be
very accurate shooting the factory 280 ammo and fire forming at the same time.

A 1 in 9 twist will shoot everything well. Just another option.

J E CUSTOM

I'm trying to stay away from Ackley's at this time, but I would also consider a 284 Winchester.

Right now I've got a Manners stock on order for a Rem Long action and a MTU barrel channel. I figure this should cover me for any Custom Long action I clone I choose, and the barrel contour will fit almost anything as well. If I go 7mm, I'll find a 1-8 twist so I can try the Berger 195gr bullets. For the 30-06 I'd stick with a 1-10.

I'm thinking once you start loading Berger 185 VLD or 208 Amax's, you'll run out of space real quick.
The length of Rems' factory mag box is the same, whether it's for a UM or a 30-06. Suppose the 30-06 loaded w/ Bergers will exceed UM length? I think not! The bullet wouldn't even be in the case! The inside length of the box is 3.700"+. And why this 'thing' about Berger Bullets. I own several match rifles that prefer SMKs by a wide margin.

Of the two, for F-class I would go with the 284 Winchester you mentioned. It is proving to be a good shooter for long range using 180 Bergers or 175 SMK's. Recoil should be less than either one and give you close to SAUM, RM, velocities.

I'm trying to stay away from Ackley's at this time, but I would also consider a 284 Winchester.

Right now I've got a Manners stock on order for a Rem Long action and a MTU barrel channel. I figure this should cover me for any Custom Long action I clone I choose, and the barrel contour will fit almost anything as well. If I go 7mm, I'll find a 1-8 twist so I can try the Berger 195gr bullets. For the 30-06 I'd stick with a 1-10.

Be carefull about building a rifle based on one style and weight of bullet because if the rifle/barrel
does not like it you may not like the accuracy with other bullets.

Also if you want to use a bullet that heavy Velocity will be very slow in cases with 60 to 70 grains
of powder capacity.

Bergers are great bullets but some barrels/chamber setups just don't like them.

Just a suggestion based on my experance.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts