30-06 or 30-06 AI dilemma

Loop12

I have two barrels for a SAUER 202. One is a 30-06 and one is 30-06 AI. With the advent of newer powders, bullets, etc. Should I go with the AI? or stick with the reg. 30-06. Older reloading data doesn't show much of a performance gain in the 30-06 AI, just wonder if things have changed?

I have two barrels for a SAUER 202. One is a 30-06 and one is 30-06 AI. With the advent of newer powders, bullets, etc. Should I go with the AI? or stick with the reg. 30-06. Older reloading data doesn't show much of a performance gain in the 30-06 AI, just wonder if things have changed?
If you build the 300 Sherman, it is worth it! Its like an A.I. on steroids. It will run a 180 over 3000 no problem. Reamers and dies in stock and use any 270 or 280 brass.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

If you go with the AI version (.30-06AI) you can still shoot regular ammo through it but you then have the option of reloading the AI formed brass and gaining 100 to 150 fps (with 150gr to 165gr bullets). I'd go AI just for the flexibility it gives you.

If you want even more speed & power, see @elkaholic regarding his suggestion to rechamber one of your barrels to .300 Sherman.

I'm just now starting a 270AI build. The older powders and supporting literature didn't make the 270AI a worth while option. I started a thread asking about caliber/ cartridge options and I got some input from a 270AI user. I chased the rabbit and settled on 270 AI. It was a good option for me considering I have all the components. It is also nice to have something new to tinker with. This will be my 1st AI or wildcat.

I would think 30-06 falls under the same category...

Best of Luck
HW

What are the barrel lengths, twist and magazine COAL?

22' and 1/10
So there you could go with either one, it really depends on your needs and criteria. for me I have a 22" standard 30-06 as my light, do all rifle. The 30-06 AI would interest me in a longer barrel say 26"-28". But whatever suits your fancy. Many like a shorter thread barrel to mount a suppressor. I won't argue with that idea.

I've built a few rifles that I had chambered for AI cartridges. They all were fun and fit my interests at the time. Now that I'm a bit older, I'm more inclined to look for the EZ button. I use standard cartridges that have readily available brass, dies, and exhaustive reloading data. They get me where I want to go.

I can't see any tangible benefit to a 30-06AI. But if you just have the hots for one, then it's a worthwhile option IMO.

If you build the 300 Sherman, it is worth it! Its like an A.I. on steroids. It will run a 180 over 3000 no problem. Reamers and dies in stock and use any 270 or 280 brass.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com
Rich, will a 300 Sherman clean up a 308 chamber? I got a hook up on some 26" 308 1-8 twist truck axles.

I do not see a dilemma; go with the AI. No need to complicate it unnecessarily.