7 SAUM or maybe 7-300 WSM

Konrad.INc

Hello all,

I've got some parts on order for a new rifle build and I need a little info on the aforementioned calibers. I am wondering if anyone has some velocity data on the 7 SAUM or the 7-300 WSM in shorter barrels. I'm specifically looking for data out of 24 or 26 inch barrels. I have a #4.5 contour 1-8 twist, 5R rifled krieger stainless barrel and I'm building it on a stainless short action Tikka T3 and I'm going to put a thunder beast suppressor on it. I would like to shoot 183 gr SMKs for target shooting and I'm thinking 175gr ELDX or LRABs and I am hoping to get 2800fps or a little more with a 24 inch barrel. I'm trying to figure out if I can do that with one of those calibers.

Any info is helpful.

Yes, I've seen the 7ss. I don't necessarily agree that it gives 200fps more velocity with the same capacity as the 7 SAUM without more pressure. But that's a discussion for another time.

Yes, I've seen the 7ss. I don't necessarily agree that it gives 200fps more velocity with the same capacity as the 7 SAUM without more pressure. But that's a discussion for another time.

I've built a number of both the 7 SAUM and the 7 SS and the SS will easily out run the SAUM by a margin even with a long throated SAUM, I've worked up to many loads for both using the same brass even, taking them to the same signs and it still amazes me what the SS will do but it's not for everyone.
Your goal should be no problem with the right reamer in the SAUM though, I have customers running around the 2900 mark with 180's with that length of barrels.

What are you defining as the "right reamer" I want a no turn neck and it still needs to fit in a short action tikka. I'm going to modify the magazines so I get a little more room, I think I can get the mag opened up to allow 2.9 to 2.95 COAL and still have a little room to chase the lands as the barrel wears. I know you can turn a short action tikka into a long one but I don't want to because I won't be able to keep my head on the stock when operating the bolt if I do.

Why drive yourself nuts over finding brass, I can only imagine what it will be like in 5-10 years,...a standard old boring 7mm rem mag will accomplish the same thing without any issues, when brass for it is no longer found shooting for fun will be over..,

Brass will still be available for it. I have a 350 rem mag and I can still get brass for it. If I wanted to build a long action, then I would have thought of using a 7 rem mag. I'm not trying to ask what other calibers people think I should build. I'm looking for real world load data/info for the calibers I'm interested in. Let's stay focused here......SQUIRREL.

The Hodgdon data site shows you can get over 2800 fps from a 7mm SAUM with a 175 gr bullet and a 24" barrel at an OAL of 2.825".

Based on that, I think you can reach your objective with a SAUM. If you can do it with a SAUM, you can easily do it with a 7mm-300WSM.

If you run H1000, velocity will be quite good.

In my 17.5" bbl, I can push 168 Berger VLD Hunting bullets to 2689 fps. H1000 will push the same bullet to a solid 2850 fps from my XP-100 Bartlein 5R 17.5" bbl.

Why drive yourself nuts over finding brass, I can only imagine what it will be like in 5-10 years,...a standard old boring 7mm rem mag will accomplish the same thing without any issues, when brass for it is no longer found shooting for fun will be over..,

That absolutely will not work with the action he's using!!

What are you defining as the "right reamer" I want a no turn neck and it still needs to fit in a short action tikka. I'm going to modify the magazines so I get a little more room, I think I can get the mag opened up to allow 2.9 to 2.95 COAL and still have a little room to chase the lands as the barrel wears. I know you can turn a short action tikka into a long one but I don't want to because I won't be able to keep my head on the stock when operating the bolt if I do.

Are you Left handed running a right bolt? I'm just have a hard time seeing how other wise, I've ran a number of them very fast in long action mode and not even close to an issue! I've build a number of these for both both SAUM, WSM and SS case and it's a perfect action to work with but putting it into a long action position which is only 3.360 ish.
Positioning the bullet in the case so the boat tail shank junction is just above the shoulder neck junction on the case puts you in the 3.070 range. Even with a poor seating position I would think you'd make your goal but I just don't like seating any deeper than needed.

No I'm not left handed. All tikka actions are the same length wether it's a 223 or a 300wm. They have 3 different bolt stops depending on cartridge length and three different magazine lengths. The magazines are all the same physical size on the outside, tikka just has a block off on one side to limit the length inside. You can mill out the block off out a little to allow for a longer seating length in the mag. I just want to make sure I can get that velocity win an OAL that will feed through the magazine. Standard medium magazine length for Tikkas is 2.830 OAL. Like I said I can open that up without much trouble and still use the medium length bolt stop.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.