Should I build a 7 Saum or 7-300 wsm?

Why not just build a 7WSM? Hornady now offers brass and the quality of it is excellent. I just finished this 7WSM and went with a 8.25 twist. I purchased 200 pieces of Hornady brass and so far so good. Still breaking im the rifle and have only shot very mild loads with the Hornady brass but the weight sorting is negligible. I annealed and prepped all the brass before starting break in. Brass was $55 per 50. Seems Hornady has upped their game in their brass. Not sure what they've changed but I've had great results lately with my PRC's and now the WSM stuff.

View attachment 323454View attachment 323455
I'm with you. I recommend just getting a 7MM WSM. With RL26 and the 162 gr Hornady ELD X bullets, I'm getting 3180 Feet per second from a 25" barrel. Mine has a long throat to allow the bullets to be seated out farther. The issue with this is you either have to have use a medium or long action or the other option is option is to get an extended Box for the Remington 700 short action and have the gunsmith open up the action to fit the extended Box. I believe my inside boxes mesurement is 3.110". I'm still doing low development, but but believe I'll get much more than what is possible with other powders.

I'm with you. I recommend just getting a 7MM WSM. With RL26 and the 162 gr Hornady ELD X bullets, I'm getting 3180 Feet per second from a 25" barrel. Mine has a long throat to allow the bullets to be seated out farther. The issue with this is you either have to have use a medium or long action or the other option is option is to get an extended Box for the Remington 700 short action and have the gunsmith open up the action to fit the extended Box. I believe my inside boxes mesurement is 3.110". I'm still doing low development, but but believe I'll get much more than what is possible with other powders.

I built mine off a Gunwerks GRB short action which is a medium length action. Great action at a great price!

I'm going to be building a mid weight rifle for western hunting. I have a Tikka Wsm action, a Mcmillan game scout stock and a broughton 1-9" twist barrel. Now i need to decide which cartridge to chamber the rifle for. I'll be using Norma or ADG brass no matter which cartridge I go with so that's pretty even. The wsm has a bigger case and holds the big brother 300wsm owns the 1,000yd world record smallest group, but the Saum is known for accuracy and easy tuning. I love and hunt in the west and this will be used for long shots on everything from antelope to elk. I'll probably be shooting 180gr bullets for the most part unless it likes the 162-168 class better.
7 Sherman short, it's like pushing the easy button. And I'd be shocked if you could get saum or wsm brass quicker than Rich's

If you like the 7 WSM, how about a 6.8 Western? Basically a 7WSM with a longer bullet. Like a Creedmore magnum. Very stable and very impressive.

I built mine off a Gunwerks GRB short action which is a medium length action. Great action at a great price!
I didn't know they made a medium, makes sense though. What is disappointing for me is I likely spent more to modify my Remington 700 Short Action than what the Gunwerks action costs, and I did not end up with any thing close to it. That is a great action.

For hunting...NEITHER !! Your shooting at a basketball sized kill zone on any big game NA animal so it's not benchrest shooting at all.. the good old fashion plain Jane ho-hum 7mm RM will handle it cheaper and with less anxiety !