7 wsm or 7 LRM

i guess I better let him know that it just won't work eh. Gosh, to bad he has been doing it all summer long since we started playing with the RL33. And here I thought we were on to something. I probably better stop shooting 3000 fps in my edge with a 300 grain SMK also because you probably say its not possible either......young fella...beleive it. RL 33 is amazing stuff

I think you completely misread my post. I said I believed he reached 3000 with RL33. Very doubtful he will reach it with H1000 or Retumbo though. IMO, the LRM is the best choice for the OP because his goal will be more easily obtainable with that cartridge AND it is a better cartridge for RL33.

Thanks for all the input. So considering the following what do you guys think? Is the LRM worth it or should I just go with the standard WSM?
1. Availability and quality of brass available.
2. LRM brass proprietary to Gunwerks.
3. Cost of Brass triple that of Winchester.
4. Barrel life?
5. Let's assume 300 fps muzzle velocity difference between the two.

1. The Hornady made LRM brass is better quality than the Winchester WSM brass. The Winchester brass is OK, just not great and will probably not last as long as the Hornady especially if you push it hard. A lot of guys opt for the 7/300 WSM cartridge for the better Norma brass. Also, as far as i know, Winchester has discontinued the 7 WSM rifle and they are the only manufacturer of the brass. Not a rosy outlook for future availability.

2. Yes it's proprietary so it is also a little risky, but I think a safe bet with Hornady in the picture.

3. You're going to get more performance even if you load it moderately and have the potential for much better life. You gotta pay to play. If you want guaranteed 3000 fps, it's the LRM. If you're willing to settle for maybe less, then go with the WSM.

4. Load them and shoot them to equal pressures and rates and the WSM will have a little better life. Load the LRM down slightly while still obtaining 3000 fps plus and it will be close in barrel life.

5. I think 300 fps is a stretch. Maybe more like 200-250.

The WSM won't quite get you there with sane pressures. Brass also isn't the greatest. Either the 7 Rem Mag or 7LRM will get you 3000 in a 27" barrel with a 180.

Maybe you should be asking someone who has a 7 lrm! I have one and Im shooting a moderate load of 72gr of H1000 for 3050 with 180 berger hybrids. No belt like a stw or rem mag. No offshoot bolt face like a dakota, better brass than win and you will need a mag action length even with the 7wsm if using 180's. I went through the same dilemma as you and went with the lrm. Search my posts and you will find lots of info on the lrm.

I thought that was "the powder is within you"

Get what you want: 7WSM, 7LRM, 7RUM. Fast, very fast, OMG fast. Barrel torch, serious barrel torch, ultra barrel torch.

I have 300WSM and 300RUM, if my WSM has no problem throwing 180 class at 3000, can't see why it would be a problem in a 7mm which has a little more powder capacity.

How big a boom do you want to make, how fast do you want your projectile going on impact?

I have 300WSM and 300RUM, if my WSM has no problem throwing 180 class at 3000, can't see why it would be a problem in a 7mm which has a little more powder capacity.

It doesn't work that way. A smaller cal bullet (same weight) in the same case will not make the same velocity as the same weight of a larger cal bullet. It has to do with the with the size/area of the pressure column.

I thought that was "the powder is within you"

Get what you want: 7WSM, 7LRM, 7RUM. Fast, very fast, OMG fast. Barrel torch, serious barrel torch, ultra barrel torch.

How big a boom do you want to make, how fast do you want your projectile going on impact?

Lol, thats too funny

It doesn't work that way. A smaller cal bullet (same weight) in the same case will not make the same velocity as the same weight of a larger cal bullet. It has to do with the with the size/area of the pressure column.

I will add that I also have a 300 RUM and 300 WSM as well as a 7 RM which has more capacity than the 7 WSM. With H4350 I got about 3000 fps with a 180 bullet in my 24" 300 WSM, With IMR 4831, I got about 3000 fps with a 160 bullet in my 24" 7 RM. Same velocity, smaller bullet. Wtih higher performance powders like Retumbo and RL17 I was able to get about 3100 and 3150 with the 160's in the 7. With RL17 in the 300 WSM I was able to get 3200 fps plus with the 180's.

The larger cal allows a greater flow of escaping gasses through the bore which will in turn push a bullet of the same weight faster.

Well since the OP hasn't posted since monday and he only had 7 post we may never heard from him again.

Sorry guys I've been working and haven't had a chance to check in. I'm leaning towards the LRM. I think the LRM seems to be the best of both worlds. I'm slightly concerned with brass availability with the LRM but gunwerks seems to keep a very good supply of it in stock and as of now I can't seem to find any 7wsm brass in stock either. The price I was quoted for the LRM brass was $1.32 per piece which brings it about double the Winchester.
They also quoted me the LRM reamer at $185 and I believe the go gauge was $50. The other option is to have them chamber the rifle for $325. Anyone have in opinions on them doing the chambering?

Sorry guys I've been working and haven't had a chance to check in. I'm leaning towards the LRM. I think the LRM seems to be the best of both worlds. I'm slightly concerned with brass availability with the LRM but gunwerks seems to keep a very good supply of it in stock and as of now I can't seem to find any 7wsm brass in stock either. The price I was quoted for the LRM brass was $1.32 per piece which brings it about double the Winchester.
They also quoted me the LRM reamer at $185 and I believe the go gauge was $50. The other option is to have them chamber the rifle for $325. Anyone have in opinions on them doing the chambering?

I think they would do as good a job as anyone with their reamer. Are they going to crown it as well?

As I mentioned before, Winchester has discontinued the 7 WSM and they are the only ones making the brass. I would expect it to be rare in the future. If I was going to do a 7 WSM, it would be a 7/300 WSM with Norma brass. I think the LRM brass is going to be much easier to get and although it is more expensive, it's also a higher quality brass.