7lrm vs 7-300 win or maybe 6.5x284

atao

I recently got a savage action to build off of and now I can't decide which caliber to go with.. First of all I want to punch paper at a mile and deer at 1000... Looking at the ballistics between the lrm and the 7-300 win I don't see much difference and the amount of powder is about the same am I missing something? The lrm seems to be a more expensive route but I don't see the advantage?
Thanks Andrew

The 7 LRM is a belt less 7 mag, it's running about 150ish fps behind the 7mm-300 Win which is enough to take notice, 7 LRM one questionable source of brass, 7mm-300 you have choices from RWS to Winchester and everything between. Dies are a wash. I don't like belted mags but alas it's the better chambering IMO between the two, if you were putting a 7 LRM against a 7 mag I'd be tempted to run the LRM though.

another thing to think about is that savage is going to have a shorter mag box and the LRM would be the better option there because of the short fat case. 7mm-300 win with a 180 berger sticking out of it is going to be quite a long sucker.

Now days you have to consider what is available in reloading componets and fortunately for me the 300 Win Mag brass is readily available.

I considered a 7LRM for a previous build, but did not go that way, but if I was going to do another it would be the 7 - 300...not much difference in ballistrics.

Huntington says it has RWS 300 Win Mag brass at $2.00 a case
Huntington Die Specialties :: Cases :: RWS Cases :: 300 Win. Mag | RWS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A third option with brass always available is to just neck down the 375 Ruger. I did exactly this two years ago when the shelves were empty. I kept finding 375 brass so I went for it. I decided if I could neck it down with my existing dies I'd try it. When I discovered it was possible I had Dave Kiff make me a reamer.

I think this cartridge will yield more velocity than the 7mm-300 win mag . 300 Win mag case capacity is 89, 375 Ruger is 100. (Case Capacities)

My current rifle is a M77 Ruger tang safety. RL-33 and the 168 berger classic hunter velocity 3268 fps from 26" barrel.

I won't go into details on how to neck down or size for reloading here. If anyone wants to know how I did it, PM me.

Ross

In my 27" barreled 7-300wm I shoot 73grs of H-1000 and a 162 Amax 3240fps with RWS brass. I also have a 28" barreled gun that shoots the same load 3280fps. RWS brass is notoriously slow because of the reduced capacity. I think a 7-375 Ruger will have a bit more capacity but you will lose a lot of the 11gr difference necking it down to 7mm. Your also stuck with one source of brass. I was tempted to do one several years ago but since I already had dies and a 7-300wm from many years before I built another 7-300wm. If I had to do it again I think I would spend the money on custom dies and do a 7 on a 6.5x68 Schuler case with a 35 degree shoulder to slow down case stretch. RWS makes brass for it and by improving it you can get the capacity up over a 7-300wm yet still have the toughest brass made. The brass is expensive but 100 rounds would easily outlast a barrel. Many people that have used the case for benchrest shooting have reported up to 50 firings per case and I haven't worn any 300wm cases out yet. Many of my cases have 6-8 firings on them with no signs of wear. The downer is you need a custom size bolt face. I will most likely go that route when I burn up my current 6.5-300wm barrels.

another thing to think about is that savage is going to have a shorter mag box and the LRM would be the better option there because of the short fat case. 7mm-300 win with a 180 berger sticking out of it is going to be quite a long sucker.

What oal would I be looking at in the 7-300 running 180 bergers?
Thanks Andrew

Does Wyatt offer extended mag boxes for the Savage like they do the 700? If so, I still think the STW is the way to go.

Especially since the name of our game is guessing the wind and elevation on the first shot...So, that being the case, single-shot shouldn't always be off the table. I understand the whole repeater concept as being important, but alot of people out there shoot single-shot LR, too.

I haven't noticed that Wyatt's offers longer mag boxes for Savage rifles. Perhaps you can find a gunsmith to lengthen the existing mag box. I had my gunsmith do this with three Ruger M77 Tang safety rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.