7/300 or 300 win

The 7mm/300 WM would be a very nice round.

I am prejudiced so would suggest to go with the 28 Nosler. Lots of personal preferences.

Both are a potent round to push the 195. The 28 Nosler has a little bit of an edge, only ~60fps.

A good ol' fashioned 7mm RUM would do nicely as well even though I believe the loss of efficiency is not worth the ~120 fps over the 7mm/300 WM or the 60fps over the 28 Nosler.

So much fun, these sorts of things. In the end you have to choose. I hope you can and that I've been some help. I can't choose so am in dire need of a 12 step program.

I only know the first 3 steps.
Stuff shells
Empty shells
Justify the pile of empty shells a reason to buy a new rifle.

It's hard to beat the good ole' 300 WM !!! It has stood the test of time and then some. Either of your choices will do the trick without question but I like those big .30 cal holes. Hopefully you'll be able to find all of your choices in reloading parts in the future.

Mud,

From my stand point, if I had a good shooting 300WM I would probably hang with it. I am not sure if right now, if I have seen enough positive performance gain from the limited sample of data, to rebarrel a 300 win mag to a 7-300 for these bullets specifically, unless you have a spot in your gun cabinet you need to fill with one. lol

It is a 5R Milspec, therefore i'm sure it will shoot as good as my other 5R Milspec (.308 Win)...But I have no desire to own a .300WM. If I need a big .30, I can pull my .300 Ackley out of the safe. :cool: If I remove the brand new barrel, I will store it for later down the road, when I need to re-barrel my .300 Ackley. So, that perfectly good barrel would not go to waste.

In the end I will probably end up going with the 7/300, but I tend to second guess myself a lot and over think things. I have brass, primers, H1000, and bullets. Just gotta get some dies and a barrel and I will be good to go. Trying to decide if I want to go with a new stock and get rid of my Sendero stock with KMW cheek piece. It is all coming to fruition here now so as I finalize my choices, just want to make sure I go with the right thing. I got a trust ole 270 win that I use here and there also. I am not one to build many rifles over my days so this is kinda going to be one of those things that ranks up there on my "pride and joy" list so I am trying to do things right. Thanks for all your inputs.

I've been playing with my new 7stw (27" shilen select match 8"twist) for a bit now with 195's and rl33. I also tried rl50 but the uniformity wasn't there, though the vel. seemed to want to get over 3K fps. I haven't pushed to pressure signs with rl50 yet. As to rl33, 80 grains in my 7stw yields 2960 fps, 1/2 moa groups, and moderate pressure.... no brass distress, easy bolt lift, etc..

I honestly don't see enough difference between the 7x300 (or 7stw) and 300win to really worry about it. Find a good barrel in 7mm or 30cal., and punch the chamber... Me, I shoot both the 7stw and 300win and have a couple of rums thrown in for good measure.

You are probably right. I am probably going to go with the 195's for the purpose of if/when I decide to take it out a ways past 1000 for funnsies that I will have the added ability to buck the wind. As much as they are similar to 1000, the 195 appears to start taking over out past that. I am kind of an H1000 fan. Always had extremely good luck with it so I have a feeling that when it comes down to it I would probably rather sacrifice the extra velocity. Heck I would even consider a 30" barrel but would get kind of long for a hunting rig so I will stick to 28. Then someday when the throat is worn I should be able to knock it down to 26 probably.

Just for conversation sake and a good measure for comparison. Yesterday I finished a 300 win with a 26" BenchMark barrel. I got groups averaging from .3 to .5 moa. The load is a known safe load of 76.5 gr of H-1000 under a Berger 215 lit with a Fed GM215M in WW brass. -.005" off lands. Load is just under where any sign of pressure shows up. Velocity from this combo is 2975 fps. Not bad from a 26" with a 215, but definitely not the first I have seen at this velocity in a 26" tube 300 Win Mag slinging a 215.
Jeff

Well, I have decided to stick with my 7/300 win mag plans rather than the straight 300 win.

Next part of conversation, barrel length. I am going to do 28", but would 29" be worth it? I figure what is another inch, probably won't notice the difference between it and 28. The 26 I have on my 7RM right now is not long at all, and I never think to myself "I wish this was shorter." Is the added 30-50fps for another inch worth it?

Doesn't really seem worth it to go to 29" then probably. Barrely worth it to go from 26 to 28. If I go 28, I can always lob it off down the road if I burn it out I guess.

I found out the reamer my smith has is only a .220 free bore. I was hoping to get a little longer, otherwise I fear I may give up too much velocity to make it worth my time. Is it easier to foot the bill for my own reamer, or to try to rent one somehow?

Just make a dummy round, most smiths have throaters, so after he cuts the chamber he can throat it out to your dummy round. That's what I have done in the past before I just had Dave start making the reamers for me

Kasey

I had mine custom ground for .203 free bore. I think .220 will be fine. I sent Dave Kiff a dummy. I ended up with bullets seated .025 longer than desired. I personally think the tolerances are large enough that it's not really worth the custom reamer. As already stated most smiths have a throater to put the throat wherever you desire.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.