7 SAUM

Alex Wheeler

I am planning out a light carry rifle for elk and thought I'd share this picture as it may help someone. This is the 7 saum at a length of 2.950 to feed from a dbm or wyatts box. Hornady 162, Berger 168, berger 180 hyb.
7saum.jpg

The bottom bullet is the 180 Berger hybrid . I'm getting ready to start testing my new custom 7 SAUM , Tikka T3 set up as a long action, 23" Hardy 1/8 C.F. barrel in a C.F. McMillan A3 edge fill. Weighs under 6 lbs without scope and mag . Based on prior results, I'm going straight to the 180's in this one, might even try the 195's for pure speculation.

I agree 100% , the 180's are very effective at SAUM velocity. I'm just curious if the 195's will be noticeably better in the wind, they'll almost assuredly be worse in drop . I'm fixing to find out, I'll post the results so we can all benefit from my success or failure.

I appreciate your efforts, but I think you will find the 180's are the sweet spot.

I know the 180's are great, but my previous barrel was a 9 twist. Now that I have an 8 twist, I'm bound by the laws of handloading to try the 195's ! Win or lose, I'm going to send a few down range, probably around 2750 or so .

I know the 180's are great, but my previous barrel was a 9 twist. Now that I have an 8 twist, I'm bound by the laws of handloading to try the 195's ! Win or lose, I'm going to send a few down range, probably around 2750 or so .
They shot pretty well in my 9 twist 7ss, at least at 4500'. I was able to push them near 3000' . They shot well around 2930'.

Thanks for the information Rich , how do you think they'll do in a 23" SAUM ? The curiosity is getting the best of me .

I spent a lot of time with the 195's last year in a Saum with 1-9t rl 26 @ 2950 fps, shooting steel out to 2000 yards with very good results, but when we started shooting game with them I was very disappointed!! Witnessed 3 elk shot with them this season and again, disgusted with the results! Worst hunting bullet I ever seen!! Many elk run off after being hit or need 3 shots to drop them. Tired of tracking them down! Different game with the 180 vld! Have a Saum on ranch neighbor that has probably shot 25 plus elk with the 180 vld and very few needed a follow up shot!! Use the 195's for target practice only!!

The 180s should run 3000 and the 168 3100. Lonnie, have you guys used the 180 hyb or only the vld??? You had more issues this year with the 195 too?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.