7 SAUM

Not to get off track, but if temp goes up and velocity follows you need to know this and tune accordingly. I shot rl15 in 1k BR and shot a different powder change every match, if you dont stay on it, it will go vertical. Thats why most of us prefer stable powders in our hunting stuff. I personally wont be using rl26, we get big temp swings here. If I lived in an area with consistent temps then I think consider it.

This his exactly why guys tried and moved away from it for high level competition. It can be 35° match 1 and 90° match 3. If it's not stable enough to shoot paper it's even riskier on game. I hope to try some RL23 when I build my lightweight 284Win. I won't be able to match a SAUM, but I hunt eastern woods and longer shots are rare.

I have always loved the 7 SAUM. Like is giant 6BR. If I can't find a standard face donor I may go SAUM.

I think it is interesting that some are getting stable results with R26 and others are not. I have read more about it spiking around 85*F, and I've witnessed this a bit myself. That said I have to wonder if it has more of a tendency to spike when it is being pushed at the top end of a node? Or does it not matter? Some Fclass shooters push speed hard, others don't...

In BR or F-class accuracy of the load is number one. If rl15 or rl26 shoot the best in your barrel, you use them and find a way to deal with the stability. I would bring all my loading equipment to the match and load the night before. I have done if for f-open as well. It just comes down to how much work a guy is willing to but into it.

Understand. I just think it is interesting that 8andBait only saw 20 fps change over 90 degrees. Is he in an excellent node? OR is the powder a lot more sensitive to cooking in a hot chamber which is going to be a lot hotter than 100*F. 10 shots at 10*F is plenty to heat the chamber up. I wonder what the speed of his first shot was when it was cold? Was ES good, or was velocity walking up? I'm not sure. I have some recorded some really low SD with it in my creedmoor with 140 VLDs, but with my 147s I'm pushing harder, my SD is higher, and so I'm going to drop the charge a few tenths and see what it does. Anyway, just a few observations. I fully understand if the Fclass crowd was getting it to work they would keep using it, but it isn't panning out in that environment. For now I have relegated it to a cool weather hunting powder, and plan on working up back up loads with H1000 in the 7 SAUM and H4350 in the Creed.

Range report: got my 7 saum back today, 22"shillen barrel, tikka action.

62gr h1000 180 eldm- 2808 fps
63 gr h1000 180 eld-m 2830 fps
58 gr H4831 sc 180 eld-m 2715 fps
58 gr H4831sc 162 amax 2775 fps

All groups were between .3-.6" 4 shot groups

I think ill be sticking with H1000 and 180s on this build
Screenshot_20171203-122717.png

I'll be shooting mine for the first time next weekend, finally got my scope mounted and going to pick up bullets this week , can't wait to see how it shoots .

Im just playing around right now. I have 35 rounds on the barrel. I may run H1000 up to pressure next. I am figuring I wont be able to cram enough powder in the case to get to max pressure. I have not started load development and wont until I have 100 rounds on the barrel. But running the pressure test with H4831sc put all 10 rounds from 58-62.5 in an inch. Watching the velocity jumps I can tell it does not like the 180s .020 in the rifling. I will jump them .020 when I start load development.

Hey alex. What would you set the freebore at to have the 168 have a touching length at 3.0"?

Thanks in advance.

I finally mounted my 7 saum action in my GRS stock and threw a scope on it. I am going to work with some 175gr Elite Hunters and RL23. I want to grab a magneto speed before I get going but I just want to shoot too. Anyhow, I'll update on how that combo works for me.

Alex, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. I have a question regarding your seating depth.
You state that you will start load development at .020 off when the time comes, but are currently running .020 in for break in/powder tests. I am curious what the thought is behind this. Thanks.

These new cases were short on headspace about .006-.007". So I am jamming the bullets to hold the cases back so they blow out correctly. If left loose in the chamber they will form inconsistently and you will not achieve maximum accuracy with those cases. After they are formed and bumped back .002" I will start load development. I just know that the 180 hybrid likes to jump .020" so I will start there.

Thanks for the reply. I knew there had to be a reason. I've been loading for 20 years but just recently am pursuing precision and am trying to learn where I can. Hoping to build my first dedicated precision rifle next year around either the 7suam or 7ss.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.