7 SAUM Help

HavenHunter

Quick questions and all answers are very appreciated. I'm looking to get into the long range game, 600+ and wanting to buy a rifle for hunting and shooting, mainly whitetails and black bear. I was going to build a 28 but don't have enough coin. I was looking on the classified thread and found a 7 SAUM that had been sitting there for 2 months or so. Called the gentleman up and he was very knowledgeable and it sounds like a good deal. Lawton 7000 action, h.s stock, factory rem barrel chambered for 180's, bedded and trued. My questions is, is this gun and this caliber something that would work for me or is the 7 SAUM not the right choice for someone like me. Should I hold out for a good deal on a 7 RM? I just don't want to spend the money on a gun and caliber that wont allow me to be successful for a first gun. All help is appreciated and if I'm in the wrong section of the forums for this type of questions please direct me to help. Thanks

Chad

Hey chad,

I don't have a 7mm saum, but my cousin does, and it shoots lights out with 180gr bergers,don't know all the specs on it but his smith built it for him last year... We shoot long range (usually 900-1000yards) almost every weekend and it consistently shoots under 1/2 moa groups at those ranges.... Really shines when it comes to windage. i have been shooting my 338 lapua with 300gr Berger hybrids along side his 7mm with the 180 grainers and we can pretty much interchange our windage settings out to 1000 yards.. Most of the other guys we shoot with are using 300 wm, 7mm stw, 284 win, etc, with lower b.c. Bullets and they almost need to account for double the wind adjustment...

The only draw back I could see is finding good brass... Nosler is usually available but not cheap (at least up here in Canada it is about $100 per 25) haven't seen Remington brass for ages for it... Just got my 6.5 rsaum so I've been looking for it....
You could also use 300rsaum brass and neck it down if u can't find 7mm.

If you are not big into reloading I'd maybe stick with the tried and true 7mm rem. Mag, but the 7mm saum is definitely an awesome long range round

Orch

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with any of the saum-wsm's...but how much you really gain over a .280/30-06 is the question, overall not much to be honest.. Finding brass is bad enough today let alone 5/10 years down the road...stick with a 7mm rem mag or .300 win mag, you'll thanks yourself...lots of these odd balls are showing up lately, just to much of a pain to work with.

Thank you both for the reply! I am into reloading but you guys definitely make a good point about brass. The more I read the more I realize the round is definitely capable. I guess my next question is do any of you guys have any experience with the Lawton 7000 action? I really want to know I have a solid action to work with. The gun is set up on a long action so I could really turn it into anything in the future. Thanks again for all your help!

Chad

If it's a long action you could ream it to 7mm-300 wsm or 28 nosler. 7mm saum brass is available from norma. The guy your buying it from probably has some brass.

Get the saum if you want the rifle. If you invest in 150 quality pieces of brass, that will last you a long time. For realistic ballistics a 280 ackley will run with the 7saum in mid weight bullets. If the package price is right, go for it

I would be all over a 7 SAUM, if I didn't already get the 280 Ackley (they are ballistic twins). I also, as another suggested, just bought plenty of brass ahead of time. I got 250 pcs of new brass, and that should last the life of my barrel.

BUT… did you say for your first gun? You'd really need to be prepared to reload with the 7 SAUM. You can get loaded ammo from like Nosler, but it will be very expensive. In that sense, it may be a bit frustrating, where a 7mm RM is a dime-a-dozen and ammo can be found anywhere. The 7mm RM is also very capable.

Anyway, very cool cartridge. :cool:

I just want to say thank you to everyone that responded! I'm going to take this weekend to chew on my options a little and go from there. I reload now and look forward to really learning what works and what doesn't with whatever purchase I make. If you have any more advice on the 7 Saum please share. Thanks again!

Chad

If the price is right I say go for it... Especially if he has dies and brass for it... One thing I would ask before buying is the round count on the barrel though... If you already reload and can dial in a good load you'll be more than happy with it... I think finding a good load for a new gun is half the fun of shooting...get some 180 bergers and some slow burning powder and you'll be golden... I know my cousin has had good results with MRP and 180 grainers .....

Orch

I think the 7 SAUM would be a GREAT choice for you! I use the 7saum Norma brass for my 7SS wildcat and it is top quality! You should get a dozen firings or more with it....Rich

One other option now exists for brass. Buy some of the 6.5 SAUM brass and neck it up. Hornady is making it and the 6.5 guys seem to like it just fine. Just another alternative. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.