7mm SAUM build help

elkandeer

I'm starting to procure parts for a 7 saum light weight hunting rifle. So far, I have a lone peak fuzion action, and would like your advice on what stock and carbon barrel to order. I've never owned a carbon barrel, I need some help with what contour and length to order. I would like to shoot 180's or bigger so I'm assuming I need an 8 twist. Also some suggestions on bottom metals and trigger. I would love to see some pics of builds that you've done to help me get a feel for what I want.

Last edited:
Perfect.

Talk to your gunsmith about which bottom metal they prefer. The hawkins m5 bottom metal is nice but not sure how the long action magazine would feed the saum case.

As for barrel either bartlein #4 carbon or #3 stainless steel with deep helical fluting.

8 twist is good. If suppressed i would go 20. Otherwise 22-24.

Stock is very subjective.

For do all 0-1000 i would lean towards manners EH3. And 24 inch barrel

For true lightweight i would look at manners UC and 22 inch barrel.

I too went with a long action for ease of use with 180s and a .195 free bore.

This is an APR Maverick Light built on a Defiance an-ti, CF barrel an AG stock. As it sits with a 3-18x44 VX6-HD bipod and ultra 7 it weighs 9 pounds on the dot. There's some weight to be haved if that's the goal but I love the scope and suppressor and ultra light wasn't the goal.

I ran a 300 yard ladder at .020 off picked the top node and loaded a batch to shoot groups. It's just under 3 inches at 600 yards which I think is fantastic for a relatively thin CF barrel. Once I get around 100 rounds I'll see about fine tuning that group.

I'm running a 21 inch barrel and the node is at 2775 on this one with fed 210s and H1k. Going to run a ladder with 215s and also with H4350.

20211022_171310.jpg

Mesa altitude stock: 25oz
#4 bartlein carbon fiber 8.5tw at 24". No need for more than 8.5, several benchrest shooters have always found best accuracy at distance with sg of 1.5-1.8 more than that, accuracy becomes less consistent.
Hawkins M5 oberndorf bdl and use a cfe12 or cfe13 mag box. Will allow you to run 3 down in the mag and give the smoothest straight-line feeding into the chamber. This stock/bottom metal is one the lightest configs next to adl as well.

Mesa altitude stock: 25oz
#4 bartlein carbon fiber 8.5tw at 24". No need for more than 8.5, several benchrest shooters have always found best accuracy at distance with sg of 1.5-1.8 more than that, accuracy becomes less consistent.
Hawkins M5 oberndorf bdl and use a cfe12 or cfe13 mag box. Will allow you to run 3 down in the mag and give the smoothest straight-line feeding into the chamber. This stock/bottom metal is one the lightest configs next to adl as well.
I don't know what "sg of 1.5 - 1.8" means, please explain.

I don't know what "sg of 1.5 - 1.8" means, please explain.
Specific gravity/gyroscopic stability. Anything above 1.5 is completely stable at that particular atmospheric condition. Some have found over stabilizing to affect accuracy. These are hunting rifles, not ELR rigs running solids. Super high twist rates aren't necessary.

My 7 RSAUM is a stiller Predator med action , bartlien 9twist 2B steel , manners EH4 carbon, Hawkins BDL , jewel trigger and Swaro Z5 3-18 . weighs in at 7.5pds

I have a 22" 9 twist Carbon Six blank that I was planning on building a 7SAUM with to run the 180's. Decided to build a 28 Nosler instead. I might be interested in parting with the barrel if you're interested