7 SAUM

Hey I'd like to know a little more about your rifle. I'm also considering building light weight carry rifle for steep country hunting for animals as big as elk/moose and I'm also thinking 7 SAUM, but with a 20" barrel to make it a little more handy walking through thick cover. I'm hoping to build a rifle that is 7.5 lbs max fully loaded. Do you know what all your individual components weigh (action, barrel, stock, rings, scope)? I plan on shooting the 168 Barnes LRX or one of the heavier Hammer bullets (I like monos). What kind of velocity do you think I can get from a 20" tube? Thanks!

Hey,
I'm looking at a similar build. How did yours turn out? Did you get any info/data on the 168 LRX? (I'm currently planning on trying the 145 LRX but the 168 looks viable as well).
Thanks

Is everyone with the 180s using a long action or short action? If the short action are you going wyatts extended? Or single feeding? I just got my proof barrel and am about to order up a Mesa summit action, and if I can get away with the short action with wyatts extended box mag I would prefer that. But also want the ability to mag load with 180s

Defiance medium length action here. You will most definitely want to cut your action for the extended mag running 180's where they should be.

Shoot everything from the 168 bergers to the 180's in mine. Surgeon 591 SA. I have never experienced any any upsets in accuracy in my short action. I get that a longer action can benefit this round some but the saum was made for the short action. I don;t think you'll be disappointed either route you go.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.