Help with 7 SAUM

Konrad.INc

Hello,

Well I finally decided on the 7 SAUM for my new rifle project. So now I need a little help with reamer dimensions. I called PTG and I got both the 7 SAUM CIP and the 7 SAUM reamer prints. There are a few differences between the two and there are a few dimensions that I am not used to seeing. First I am wondering what people think about the .321 neck dia? That seems a little big to me, but I'd also like some input on loaded neck dia for UNTURNED Norma brass and 175-180gr bullets.

The next question I have is about the headspace length, the two prints are definetly different but I don't know if one is preferable to the other.

Lastly the the lead angle, I'm used to 1*30' but these are both 1*, does anyone know why they are different?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 7mm RSAUM fin CIP 44090.pdf
    135.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 7mm RSAUM 5212.pdf
    229.4 KB · Views: 84
I don't know any of the measurements that you're asking about. What I do know is, my Remington Model Seven 7 SAUM is completely factory(barrel and action wise). I'm new to reloading and have never turned any necks or anneiled(sp) the brass. And have zero plans to. I'm on about my 5th or more loading on this brass. I'm shooting 160 grain Accubonds through the factory 22" barrel at a rate of 2950fps with RL22.

Sorry I couldn't help you with any of your questions, but to say that my rifle is at the factory settings.

There is no difference between those two reamers. The loaded neck diameter on the Norma brass I've measured is .316". As for the angle, it is 1° because that is what Remington speced it at. There are a lot of cartridges that don't have a 1.5° throat.

If you are going to order a reamer, you can order whatever throat angle you want.

All of my last bunch of 7 Saum brass measures .314ish neck loaded.
Your wanting something specific you need to make dummy rounds with the bullets you want seated for the mag your using and send them in for measuring so you know what your looking at.

I agree with making a simple dummy round, measuring it, and THEN reviewing & filling out the reamer prints.
It's your opportunity to make what you want of the case, and of reloading for it.
So don't just do what anyone else did. Get engaged in it, think about it,, and most important is to learn about it.
You're on the right track.

I've ordered reamers before, just not in this caliber. I was more looking for input as to what other people have used for reamer dimensions, better to learn what other people would do differently than to make the same mistakes because I didn't ask.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.