Should I build a 7 Saum or 7-300 wsm?

@ Timnterra,..
Question,.. HOW did you get the Spacer "Block" out of, the Tikka Magazine ?
I have a .243 / .308 sized, 5 Shot Magazine that, I want to get that Plastic Block, OUT of, so I can Fit Longer, 6.5 Creed Ammo in it !
Pried out ??,.. Thanks, in advance !

As noted by others, obtaining "good" BRASS is, Paramount !
Doubt IF, you'd go wrong with, either Cart.
The Brits and Canadians are pretty Happy with, the 7 MM-.270 WSM for, 1,000 Yard Target ( .270 WSM case Necked, UP to 7mm ).
Might Try using, the Tikka, .300 Win Mag.,.. Magazines.

@ Timnterra,..
Are they,.. Glued IN ??
The 7MM SAUM is getting, VERY Popular as, LOTS of "Builds" in that, Cart !
I too, HAVE a .270 WSM Tikka T-3 and am real Happy with, the 140 Berger @ 3,185 FPS ( THEY,.. "Hammer", Elk at, "reasonable Ranges" )
Sadly, the 140 gr. .270 Bullets, WON'T, "reach out" as Far as, 7MM bullets, DO !

Last edited:
There are aftermarket magazines for Tikka, long action WSM/SAUM.
Mountain Tactical (MT) or Hells Canyon Armory (HCA) make them.

This site sponsor has the MT version:

I just ordered a couple as I'm doing a long action 300 WSM Tikka. The HCA option would have been my preference but they're harder to come buy.

I'm looking forward to ADG WSM brass. They already make 7 SAUM brass. They will be running 7mm SAUM in the very, very near future.

Last edited:
@ Timnterra,..
Are they,.. Glued IN ??
The 7MM SAUM is getting, VERY Popular as, LOTS of "Builds" in that, Cart !
I too, HAVE a .270 WSM Tikka T-3 and am real Happy with, the 140 Berger @ 3,185 FPS ( THEY,.. "Hammer", Elk at, "reasonable Ranges" )
Sadly, the 140 gr. .270 Bullets, WON'T, "reach out" as Far as, 7MM bullets, DO !
It's a molded In piece of plastic it's not to hard to cut/ snap it out little pieces at a time.

Almost correct....they are stopping BULK brass shipments.

View attachment 323241

I would go 7saum since you are using a 9 twist. Barrel life will be close to the same, 1000+ unless you run the Ricky Bobby upper nodes. The 7/300 can hit another node the saum can't touch with a Berger 180......The saum seems to be easier to tune overall than the 7/300. Both will shoot small if you get'em right.
that would be good news because my orders locally have been canceled with the reason from the wholesalers being Norma is not shipping brass here. that was a few weeks ago and i dont see a date on your email to know when or if things changed.
i hope your right i like their saum brass

Just depends if you want all the speed or little less speed lol. I like the saums over the WSMs. Had several of each and just prefer the saums.

that would be good news because my orders locally have been canceled with the reason from the wholesalers being Norma is not shipping brass here. that was a few weeks ago and i dont see a date on your email to know when or if things changed.
i hope your right i like their saum brass

That exchange was Dec 8.

No experience with any 7mm. Just commenting you can't go wrong with a tikka action. I dare say it's close to a custom quality action. Sounds like a great build / idea you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just build a 7WSM? Hornady now offers brass and the quality of it is excellent. I just finished this 7WSM and went with a 8.25 twist. I purchased 200 pieces of Hornady brass and so far so good. Still breaking im the rifle and have only shot very mild loads with the Hornady brass but the weight sorting is negligible. I annealed and prepped all the brass before starting break in. Brass was $55 per 50. Seems Hornady has upped their game in their brass. Not sure what they've changed but I've had great results lately with my PRC's and now the WSM stuff.

756DE483-DDAA-42BE-8DAC-EBC62D777D0C.jpeg
427101E9-7C8A-4744-8FC6-5F9DA6909310.jpeg

Last edited:
No experience with any 7mm. Just commenting you can't go wrong with a tikka action. I dare say it's close to a custom quality action. Sounds like a great build / idea you.
I never gave much thought to tikka actions until Remington went out of business. I really like them but the stocks are so dang hard to find.

Recent Posts