Should I build a 330 Dakota?

Subzero

So I scored a good deal on a hs precision stock for a remington 700 long action, and now I'm looking to build a dedicated long range elk rifle.
I was doing some research on cartridges and the specs for the 330 Dakota seem perfect for what I want to do, however I can't seem to find any affordable brass options or good recent info on the cartridge. Is this cartridge dead?
338wm seems too slow, 338 Rum seems like COAL would be too long and 338 lapua is too long/fat/expensive. I guess 300 PRC sounds pretty good, but I was hoping to make the jump to .338 bullets. I want to shoot 285 ELD-M's.
Any help/info/ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Salmonchaser

338 Jarrett; 250gr AB at 2950 with a variety of powders, Hitting 3000 with RL26 easy. Brass can be a bit of a pain as the round is an improved 8mm RM. I’ve never tried any of the heavies as the recoil is enough for me as is.

Idaho Trecker

As you said brass is 1 option only. I really like the Dakota line and they were just ahead of their time. I had a 300 Dakota and absolutely loved it. I almost built a 7 and 330 Dakota also. Go for it if you are prepared to stock up on a barrel worth of brass in case they disappear. If there were more brass options I would still build one.

David Emerson

LRH Team Member
So I scored a good deal on a hs precision stock for a remington 700 long action, and now I'm looking to build a dedicated long range elk rifle.
I was doing some research on cartridges and the specs for the 330 Dakota seem perfect for what I want to do, however I can't seem to find any affordable brass options or good recent info on the cartridge. Is this cartridge dead?
338wm seems too slow, 338 Rum seems like COAL would be too long and 338 lapua is too long/fat/expensive. I guess 300 PRC sounds pretty good, but I was hoping to make the jump to .338 bullets. I want to shoot 285 ELD-M's.
Any help/info/ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Have you looked at the 33 nosler? Basically the same as the Dakota but fits the Remington bolt with no alteration. New data on Noslers site and brass available

B/2-75

Heck yeah, build it. I had two built almost 30 yrs ago on a Ruger #1 and M70...absolute elk hammer with old 230 FS. Don Allen’s favorite cartridge...he took several Cape Buffalo with the same setup. I haven’t loaded any of the new bullets out there as I have a stash of 230 FSs but I’m sure they will work equally or better. Haven’t looked for brass lately either...have 500 new still.

Subzero

33 nosler looks promising. I'll do some research on it.
Out of curiosity, has anyone necked up a 300 prc to .338?

dogz

Subzero---I'd say make life easy and do a 340 Wby, my old 700 was a 340 for a few years until I wore it out. Darn nice round, incredibly accurate (I've worked with a handful of 340 barrels) and easy to work with.

Life's short, make life easy!

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce