should I buy a production rifle or build

M_freeman

The apllication for this rifle will be backpacking *carryable* deer, antelope out to 800 yards and elk out to 600 yards I am thinking 7mm rem mag or 6.5 / 284 ideally with scope at about 9 - 10 pounds. I like the idea of buying the Savage 111 (or similar production LRH) but are they accurate out to 800 yards? Obviously a custom build can get out there and be a pound lighter. Any ideas from on how to solve this problem.
I can budget $1,500 for a scope and $2,000 for the rifle.

The short mags are incredibly accurate in a custom rifle. By picking the right custom action/barrel/stock they can be made in a very lightweight backpack rifle that will shoot extremely well. That is where I would go instead of the 7mm rem mag. The lighter recoil with the short mag in the light rifle will allow you to shoot better without a brake. The 7mm rem mag is a good choice for your purpose but throwing the light backpack spec in there I would do the short mag in your choice of caliber if you have the money.

Or read under 338 win mag post what I backpack with. Tikka T-3 light with a light scope can get you easily out to 700 yards on an elk without breaking the bank. Rigged out just over 7 pounds and around a thousand dollars will do it. I have found on most occasions you can get to that 600-700 yard range without destroying your bank account. Beyond that custom rifles and nice scopes with crystal clear glass begin to make a noticable difference.

Long Time Long Ranger hit it pretty good

7wsm will out run 7mag and can be used in a short action

the tikka t3 is great little rifle a buddy has one for is daughter i have noticed alot of people use em for back packing rifles

their are few stock makers that make some really light stocks i think one is lone wolf and the another is manners but one might correct me on that

Winchester's new Model-70, Coyote Light is only 7lb-8oz w/o scope. With a med. heavy flueted stainless bbl, and an aluminum bedded Bell and Carlsen stock. Then go to Defensive Edge website and get an adjustable cheek weld for it. Pick your favorite wsm(not wssm) caliber, IMO wsm's are perfect for the chore you described. Then put some quality glass and a good set of bipods on er and youve nailed it under budgett.
I know the older Coyotes were awesome performers. I havent played with the new ones yet.
Id also look at Weatherby, Howa, and Sako for your list of production rifles, but I dont know what the availibility of wsm cartriges is in those makes.

*********Just read in the ''general discussion'' thread that Shilen is starting up rifle production again, and offers a barrel nut, for the ''swich barrel'' lovers. Pretty cool news. Shilen has an amazing track record for accurate barrels.**********
No idea what they cost, my computer wouldnt open the thingy I clicked on.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts