Most versatile chambering for handloaders?

Because the question is which is "the most versatile for handloaders..." with all those animals and situations in mind, you HAVE to pick the 338 Win Mag. Brass is easier to come by than any other 338 caliber, cheaper with larger bullet selection than anything bigger, and decidedly more potent when loaded properly for the largest bears (and capable of thumping coyotes when loaded properly the other way). Easily the MOST versatile for every critter on NA continent.

"most versatile" does NOT mean it is magic chambering that will do all.
at some point you will have to decide what is ACCEPTABLE.

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

From distances of 25-50 yards to say 400.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?
Good question......
1. Self cast bullets out to 400 yards requires a precision difficult to obtain.
2. Not a lot of people can shoot very accurately to 400 yards ( hit a dinner plate 4 out of 5 shots)
3. So..... I would recommend:
a) forget cast bullets.
b) buy a 30:06 bolt action. ( a bolt will be tougher than pump or lever for self loads)
c) buy a large selection of different grained factour bullets. The beauty of 30:06... huge selection.
d) study the ballistic tables of different grain bullets out to 300 yards.
e) load up a pile of self loads and practice ...keeping accurate data as to which powder / bullet combination gives you the most accuracy.
note.....if you were to shoot 50 practice shots with a 30:06.... then try it with a 338....well...your shoulder will not need to be replaced.

Rick_W, Maybe I'm the one that is confused here, or perhaps many others misinterpreted your intentions! I assume that you did not intend the cast bullets to be used out to 400 yards. Where the cast to be used for small game as well as the big game specified? Would you mind making this more clear? Example: size of game and yardages for the cast bullets, as well as for the jacketed bullets! Due to confusion.....your getting conflicting information! Thanks ! Just trying to give you accurate information! memtb

Kinda reminds me of Jeremiah Johnson movie...where he realized he had to trade his 40 cal up to a 54? But, he didn't have the option of nosler partition technology. What was that rifle Quigley used? 50 sharps? When you talk lead, reloading, and copper jackets, and, you are talking a survival rifle (?) where big critter live. Go for the biggest thing you can shoot well.

I took the OP's question as you have all bullets to choose from if you want but don't have to use them, just the way I read it. Also nowhere does he say your buddy backing you up can't have something else for bears(416 rigby!!!)

Rick_W, Maybe I'm the one that is confused here, or perhaps many others misinterpreted your intentions! I assume that you did not intend the cast bullets to be used out to 400 yards. Where the cast to be used for small game as well as the big game specified? Would you mind making this more clear? Example: size of game and yardages for the cast bullets, as well as for the jacketed bullets! Due to confusion.....your getting conflicting information! Thanks ! Just trying to give you accurate information! memtb
You are correct. I tried to clear that up in the subsequent posts - guess it didn't help.

Cast bullets for lighter, thin skinned game up close. Or even plinking. If nothing else but to get quality trigger time.

Use appropriate jacketed or solid bullet, at appropriate range, for appropriate game hunted. Even light, thin skinned game at father distances (with my self imposed limitation of 400 yards).

Not looking for the SHTF end of the world gun/cartridge.

Just an exercise of thought at what one cartridge could be used easily/successfully at various ranges, hand-loaded appropriately, for a large(r) variety of game.

And I appreciate the responses that most have given.

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

From distances of 25-50 yards to say 400.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?

You can tell by all of the responses that this is an interesting question to ponder. But do you ask it as a conversation topic or do you plan to buy one do-it-all rifle based on your requirements?

Not poo-pooing your idea. Its cumbersome to switch back and forth between lead and copper often. You'll be cleaning the barrel a lot more than if you stuck with copper or lead. If you dont, I feel the POI at the range you're talking about would be off. Plus I dont like storing my hunting rifles with a clean barrel, because what if I want to go hunting? I'd have to go shoot a couple foul shots first? (We probably all have our own mindset on that topic). You'll be adjusting your scope zero often too. Which isnt as big of a deal if you have the right scope.

I'm usually not a naysayer. I apologize if I come across as one. For sure an interesting question though!

I took the OP's question as you have all bullets to choose from if you want but don't have to use them, just the way I read it. Also nowhere does he say your buddy backing you up can't have something else for bears(416 rigby!!!)
^^^^^^

Maybe sometimes you just want to use that .460 Weatherby Magnum but you're fresh out of rampaging Tyrannosaurus Nutria. A hard-cast lead bullet at 1300-1600 fps makes a great deer dropper.

Also I didnt see it posted yet, but my dad and I used to shoot 180gr lead cast bullets in his 308 loaded with a small charge of Unique I believe. I'm sure something similar can be done with many other cartridges recommended.

You can tell by all of the responses that this is an interesting question to ponder. But do you ask it as a conversation topic or do you plan to buy one do-it-all rifle based on your requirements?

Not poo-pooing your idea. Its cumbersome to switch back and forth between lead and copper often. You'll be cleaning the barrel a lot more than if you stuck with copper or lead. If you dont, I feel the POI at the range you're talking about would be off. Plus I dont like storing my hunting rifles with a clean barrel, because what if I want to go hunting? I'd have to go shoot a couple foul shots first? (We probably all have our own mindset on that topic). You'll be adjusting your scope zero often too. Which isnt as big of a deal if you have the right scope.

I'm usually not a naysayer. I apologize if I come across as one. For sure an interesting question though!
I'm actually considering a new rifle.

Long shots in my neck of the swamps are at most 150-200 yards.

I have .308 and 7RUM. My wife has taken possession of my .308 and I don't care for the 7RUM. It's not the recoil, just something about it I don't like.

Lots of small deer and big hog down here. And the occasional black bear which are not viable game. Lots of coyotes, too.

I'd like to take a guided trip for moose, brown bear and bison before I die. And I don't plan on that happening in foreseeable future!

The topic is just a thought I had.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.