Most versatile chambering for handloaders?

If most of the game would be the larger game, I would choose a 338. If most is smaller game, I would probably choose the 308. I prefer short actions but anything on a Mauser action would be great, also.
Do you have any experience with the .338 Federal? If it will do what the .338-06 will do I'd be all for it.

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

From distances of 25-50 yards to say 400.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?

375 H&H Ackley Improved, end of story.

F409958E-6FC2-456F-B59C-BA95A71E52FF.jpeg
B2117517-A37D-42FE-A6E4-F30B391DA362.jpeg
62A9CBF8-5A39-4BEB-BCBC-005985B0FB41.jpeg

Last Saturday I used cast bullets in my Springfield 1903A3 in a Garand match.
The 50 shot match was going good until I changed handloads.
The 30-40 Krag is another fun rifle for me.

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?
375 H&H Ackley Improved, end of story.

Quite the spread of game species! I must confess that I have not hunted the big bears, but from what I've read, seen on video etc. adding dangerous game to the mix makes a significant difference in how you might view this question! Drop the big bears and I have no qualms with saying 300 Winmag/30-06 are the front runners, with several others coming in as honorable mentions (7mm Remmag and 308 come to mind.) I know, boring choices but they really do touch all the bases.

Thus my earlier statement - not sure I could recommend any of those for dangerous game. IMO the good old 375 H&H is probably the best starting point when you add the critters that'll fight back, though I certainly would not disrespect the 338 Winmag either. Also, upgrading to a hotter cartridge in either .338 or .375 makes the longer range work a possibility for those who can deal with the recoil, provided the shooter uses a bullet tough enough to handle the chore at closer range too. That does run right into the old question of being "overgunned" but for argument's sake, dead id dead! I wouldn't go out of my way to hunt pronghorn with a 375 RUM, but it would get it done if I had to!

I've taken many "Pronghorns" with my .375 AI....and never felt "overgunned" or committed the unforgivable act of "overkill"! memtb

If I had one caliber to use for the rest of my life it would be a 7mm Rem Mag. I noticed a lot of people mention the 300 Win Mag, and this would deffinately be a close second. Here are my reasons.

First, versatility with a wide selection of bullets. On the low end, I could load a 100 gr bullet at stupid velocities for varmints. Or if I ever take someone hunting who is sensitive to recoil, I can make a moderate load with 120-140 gr bullets at about 270 winchester velocities, which will cleanly harvest most north American animals. On the high end, I can push a 168 berger/ 162 eldx/ 160 accubond over 3000 fps or the heavier 175 EH/ 180 vld/ 175 partitions/ 168-175 barnes bullets around 2900 fps, and harvest any animal on the planet with proper shot placement. If you don't believe me, there is a book about a fellow (can't remember his name) who traveled the world killing big game with a 220 swift, that includes Alaskan brown bear. The 7mm Rem is more than enough.

Second, price. You can find top of the line 7mm rem brass, or go to any store that sells ammo and scrape up whatever you can find, for cheap. There are a ton of 7mm bullet options as well, not quite as many as the 30 cal, but close.

Third, information. There is infante data on this cartridge. If you can think of a 7mm bullet/powder combo, someone has tried it. Cast bullets, someone has tried it (I don't even need to look to know). If your going to get real creative and want to try a smaller bullet loaded in a plastic sabbot, I'm sure someone has done it with multiple bullets out of a 7 mag.

Forth, personal experience. This is where my two eyeballs are the only witness, so people may disagree. I harvested my first few elk and deer with a 7 mag. I started to get into reloading when I was 15 or so, and the bug hit me like so many others on this forum. I wanted the next best thing. I thought I would one up the 7 mag with a 300 winchester. The 300 has almost all the same admirable traits as the 7 mag, but a little more knock down power (so I thought). I built a custom rifle in 300 and very quickly realised I needed a scope worthy of the rifle. In came my US Optics ER25. I became proficient out to 1200 yards over the next few years and fell in love with the 300wm. While I like shooting long range, I think the fun part of a hunt is stalking in on a critter, so the next elk and black bear taken with that rifle were shot at pretty close range. The 300 does kill fantastically. A few friends borrowed the rifle for hunts, and it dropped everything the barrel pointed at... but the 7mm dropped everything just as quick. I eventually bought a rifle for an awesome price so I could use the action for a custom build in 28 Nosler (that bug hit me as well). This particular rifle happened to be chambered in 7RM. I figured I might as well shoot it a bit before I tear it apart. At this time it had been two years sense I shot my old trusty 7mm, but my skills had improved exponentially. The rifle shot 1/2 moa and when I started shooting at 600, then 800, then 1000... by the time I got to 1200 yards I was shocked that I ever left the 7RM. Less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities than the 300. I did not tear that rifle apart, and built my 28 nosler on a different action. That 7RM is now my trusty go to rifle if I don't have ammo loaded in the other calibers. Last year it took a wolf at 400 yards, an Elk at 300 and a mule deer at 650. All with the 180gr ELDM at about 2900fps.

The 7mm Remington Magnum is not the best at any one thing, but it will do everything well

338 win mag or 338 UM.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.