Most popular or most common LRH cartridge???

G

Just wondering......what is the most common/popular cartridge used for long range hunting????

Depends on how far youre talking and how big the critter. If its deer out to 600 yards max the 308 or hot 6mm's to 6.5's most likely take the vote. If its elk out to 600+ its probably the 7mm Rem mag, 7STW or 300 win mag or 300 RUM.

These are the most popular, not in a particular order. Other calibers may be more ussfull for the purpose, but these are popular for a reason.

I'm thinking 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Winchester Mag. Everyone knows the 308 is good on paper out to 600 but will bounce right off a deer at that range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just kidding. I love the .308 but it's not on my list of long range hunting cartridges. For deer I like the hotter 25's like the 25-06AI and 257Wby (Perfection)

Not popular at all but a clear step above is Kirby's new Allan Magnum line of cartridges. The 257, 270, 7mm are cutting edge. The NEW Weatherby of our time. Nothing shoots flatter or hits harder at long range. That 7mm is screaming for me.

I'm a newbie both to the forum and to LR .From reading the above posts it's a little unclear to me:so let me be very specific:
Live target:deer
Max range:1,000 yds
Custom Shoulder rifle(to be made this Spring)
Weight:Need to lug it in and up a mile or two--I'm 64 in great shape--with a slightly arthritic right/shooting shoulder--

More info and suggestions here:
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=181514&whichpage=LASTPAGE

Thanks
Tom

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a newbie both to the forum and to LR .From reading the above posts it's a little unclear to me:so let me be very specific:
Live target:deer
Max range:1,000 yds
Custom Shoulder rifle(to be made this Spring)
Weight:Need to lug it in and up a mile or two--I'm 64 in great shape--with a slightly arthritic right/shooting shoulder--

More info and suggestions here:
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=181514&whichpage=LASTPAGE

Thanks
Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

7 Rem Mag, 160+ weight bullets. I've been shooting 150 btips from a 24" #4 Shilen bbl. This is a great bullet at long range. It will certainly dump a deer at 1000 yards. It is one of my one holer rifles, 4 of 5 groups.

I would go with a 30 cal such as the 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby at top end. 7mm WSM with 175 would be good also.

All are more inherently accurate than the RUM line also.

Before all the RUM aficianados jump out there with eyes aglaze, go look at the BR results. If the RUM was inherently accurate as the others, it would dominate the 1k BR and it does not by a long shot.

In a 8-10 lb carry rifle that is all the recoil you want. The RUM is not for a damaged shoulder!!

Plus any of the above with a 180 gr is plenty for deer to 1000 yards. 24-27 MOA from 100 to 1000 tops and RUMs are only about 3-4 MOA below that for lot more recoil.

Either caliber is a miss w/o an accurate rangefinder at 1000!!!

BH

Sounds like 2 things. You are bias against the RUM's and you have never owned or worked extensivley with one.

7mm sucks anyway!!

[ QUOTE ]
7mm sucks anyway!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure all the dead animals that fell to the 7mm would agree with you---- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why don't you do a poll and see who shoots what ? My money is on the 300 winnie,...........even if Abinok is abandoning his first love /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim Brown

I wouldnt say the 7mm sucks. I do prefer the 30 cal over the 7mm. Lets just say thats personal preferance and for my own reasons. Doesnt make the 7mm usless. All popular cases have strong points and weak ones. If there were a do it all perfect case we wouldnt have so many. There are things the 300 WM can do the 300 RUM cant and vice verca. So lets not knock one or the other whether it be case or caliber they all have a place and some will harvest things a long way away including the 7mm rem, STW mags ect..., 300 WM and 300 RUM.

My vote goes for the .338........The bigger the case and more powder behind it the better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bigger heavier bullets equal more impact energy, greater crossection, and less wind drift.

If it kicks too hard, get a muzzle brake. If it is too loud, wear muffs. If it is too heavy, bring a youngster along to tote (that's southern for carry) it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would say if you wanted a 100-1000yd hunting gun with moderate recoil and lighter wieght to get the 300wsm. All of the results from tests I have seen people do or have read about really speak highly of this caliber. Load it up with some 180gr accubonds and thier aint much in north america that wont fall to it.

I am a big RUM fan so I dont hold much to people saying the RUM's arent inherently accurate. If you wanna talk about 1k BR shooting then we should all be shooting 6.5X284's. The 300 RUM and others of its family are very accurate. Bill baileys 300 rum is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever seen. It put 15 shots of all gradually increasing powder loads into a .75 group at 100yds. Nothing amazing but it does show at least a little accuracy. The rum is not overly shoulder friendly though, and if you put a brake on the gun 2-3 shots with out hearing protection generally means you wont really need hearing protection ever again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I personnally have very little experince with the Weatherbys but I have heard a few negative things about them. I dont think they make the greatest platform for a custom rifle and the are a belted magnum.

I bet if you get a good 9lb 28" barreled 300wsm you wont ever be dissapointed.

good luck
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.