What is the MOST FUSSY cartridge...and LEAST?

Thebobcat

Let's go down the rabbit hole. What is the most fussy cartridge you've ever had to deal with? You eventually got it to shoot acceptably but with much heartache and effort or maybe only shooting 1 particular load acceptably and shotgunning all others.

On the flip, whats the cartridge you found that can do no wrong? Whatever you throw together shoots well and just plain makes it looks easy.

I really struggled to get a 243 Win dialed in. Coincidently, my shooting buddy also struggled years prior with a 243.

That's only two examples, but seems finicky.

My 6mm AI will digest just about any bullet and powder combo and shoot sub MOA. 55-85gr bullets over powders like H4350, H4831sc or N160.

My 22-250AI is even easier to tune. 75 ELDM, 77 LRX even 90gr SMKs over the same powders shoot half MOA consistently.

The least "Problems" I've ever had with a Cartridge - Rifle combo for Me was using, a Tubb, Version One design, 6 XC with, Forster Dies, Norma Brass, Criterion 1-7.5 tw, 24", SS Barrel on, a short SS Rem 700 action, that I head spaced tightly, myself, then, Pillar / Glass Bedded in, a H-S precision stock. This Rifle Shoots EVERYTHING from, 70 - 80 gr. Bullets up to the 107 gr. SMK's & 108 gr. Elite Bergers into, "BugHoles" from, the 2's to 4's except with, the 87 gr Horn. V-Max's ( I couldn't get, consistent Group,. "repeatability" with, them ). Probably due to, the 1-7.5 Twist Barrel.
My Tikka T-3 in 6.5 Creed, was the Second easiest, to get, real good, accuracy

Following with interest!

However, it's a bit subjective……"One man's trash is another's treasure"! But, I'm still interested in the conversation. 😉 memtb
Totally Agree ^^^^^^^^
I believe that it is the Gun that makes a cartridge FUSSY.
I had a Ruger M77 in 7 RM. That drove me crazy. Shot Factory and Reloads, anything from 120gr BT to 175 Berger's.
Most likely it was the barrel, Never found out, Sold it after a few years of Aggravation.
EASY PEASY IS A 308 WIN. 👍🎅

Fussiest, Rifle was, a 1981 Rem. model 700, 1-14 Twist, .22-250 ( Years Ago, when young & dumb, in my 20's ) UNTIL, I understood exactly what, Bullets were "Best" for, the 14 twist barrel ( Not, the Rifles,.. Fault ). It's a "Hammer" now with, 50 gr. V-Maxes, 52 gr. ELD-M's, 52 and 55 gr. Flat Based, Berger Varmints. ( the old gal likes most, 50 to 55 grain Bullets ). Gotta Find, the Bullet for, your Barrel !

Last edited:
For me, any rifle with a long throat where you can not get anywhere close to the lands has been very temperamental to shoot sub 1/2" groups, and the worst was a 270 Weatherby Mark 5.

Individual barrels are usually the fly in the ointment and the chamber design that goes with it.

The most difficult case I have found to tune small groups in multiple rifles is the 22 Hornet, while the easiest is the 6 XC & 6.5x47 Lapua, discounting the 6 PPC and 6 BR as not hunting rifles. As a test, I made brass for the 6 XC from 308 Winchester PMC, Winchester, Lake City '09, and Chinese Military machine gun brass. All the 6 XC formed cases from the 308 brass shot 1/4" groups and smaller, and I consider this a good test of a cartridge design. Also, formed 6.5x47 brass from Remington 22/250 brass when there was no Lapua brass in the country. It took me a few shots to work up a load that shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards with the Remington 22/250 brass formed in a Ruger 77 Mark II with #5 taper, Brux barrel in a Laminated stock in 6.5x47 Lapua, a true Red Neck special deer/hog rifle.

Last edited:
You couldn't give me a 7 rem mag after what I went through with my first build. It shot everything you put down the barrel at about 1.25 moa, but I shot out half the barrel getting down to .5 moa. Plus it was a fast twist that liked lighter bullets, defeated the whole purpose of the build. 🤦‍♂️ 6.5 Prc was easy button for me.

I wouldn't blame it on the cartridge by anymeans but I have built 308 that I swear is a woman, never know what kind of mood it's going to be in. One day it's easily sub 1/2 moa next it wants to be a 3/4 moa bitch. Just like a woman though I've figured out some of those little things over years of time that it likes to keep it closer to 1/2moa.

Sorry to hear of your woes with the 7 Mag, Duffman! All the Remingtons I have had in 7 Mag shot tiny groups, bedded, barrel freefloated, trigger adjusted, couple of Savages and A bolts did also. Wierd thing about the 7 Mags is that they love to have the bullet seated very near the lands or just barely touching the lands with certain bullets, and I shoot 9 1/4 and 9" twists with freebores varying from .110(SAAMI) to .210. I do put a muzzle break on all the 7 Mags, and free-floating the magazine box is a must. De-copper the barrel every 20-25 rounds helps tremendously for achieving that bug hole accuracy.