What Is The Most Comfortable Rifle Stock?

killerspoons

What is the most comfortable rifle stock design you have ever used? I am going to build a stock out of wood and want it to be as comfortable as it can be based on design only?

OK - I'll play.

Probably too many differently shaped bodies out there to ever get a consensus on this one. But for my money, I vote for any of the McMillan A3, A4 or A5 designs. Many other mfg's have copied this shape, which is sincere flatery indeed.

Personal preference and experience plays a big role here, beng standard size, weight, and build relative to my height, I personally find the A3/A3 McMillan style comfortable for heavier long range rigs where prone shooting is the predominant position. For lighter weight carry rifles where a variety of shooting positions are encountered, I found the standard straight combed pistol grip style sporter stock on my 60's vintage, pre-64 Model 70 to fit and handle like it was an extension of my body. My more recent Super Grade Model 70 Winchester is quite similar. I'm sure this is the result of a few decades of use.

I agree with others there's just to many variable to the human form. For me though, the Boyd;s thumbhole stocks put everything in just the right place. I know others that it it doesn't work for at all. McMillan is a good place to start though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.