Most accurate 1000 yard cartridge that Savage Arms makes?

adamhannah

--Hi, all. I am new to long range shooting and I was wondering what is the best overall caliber to use for 1000 yards? I know this will probably open a can of worms, but I really don't know much about long range shooting. I am mainly wanting this firearm for target shooting (perhaps I would use it occasionally for deer, hogs, and turtles in a private lake), as I already have my hunting rifle taken care of (a Savage 111 in .30-06). Before you start naming off various cartridges, I should let you know that I am left handed and only want to shoot with a left handed bolt action of the Savage brand. Of course, I am looking for something with a high BC as well. What do you suggest? My apologies if this is an open ended question, but I obviously don't know a lot about long range shooting. Thanks.

As a lefty you have to look at what they offer there as well as for the 1000yd game.

for shooting steel and big and little wolves, I chose the md 10 predator, in 243. (I shoot a 7mmrm for bigger game) they make it in 260 and 6.5x284 as well, all three of those will get you to 1k. with the 6.5x 284 being the best for hunting big game. Savage also makes some lh 308 that could do it. or you could rebarrel.

best.
Idahoorion

I'll add 300WSM, 300 Win Mag and any of the 6.5's. 308 will definitely be a good all around cartridge. If you reload, then pick what you feel like using.

team savage uses- 12 6.5-284

I think that generally speaking the 6.5x284's that Savage make are very accurate rifles. My buddy has the Model 12 that he uses for targets and it's exceptionally accurate. I have quite a few Savage rifles. The 6.5x284 LRH I own the most accurate of he lot It's throated to optimally handle the high BC 140 VLD's and has a 1:8 twist. My best group with my LRH is 5 shots in 1.25" at 500 yards. I think either the Predator or LRH in 6.5x284 would fill the bill as one of the more accurate cartridges in the Savage line up used for hunting and informal long range targets. An added benefit is that it has light recoil, but sufficient energy to take medium sized game to 1000 yards, and rocks and varmints a few hundred yards further. IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.