Most versatile: 300wm vs 7mm vs ?

Winny94

Due to some trolls getting in a ****in match, my other thread got deleted, but the basic question is; what cartridge is the most versatile for north American game from deer to elk & moose to bear? The other thread whittled it down to 300wm or 7mm (and a few votes for 30-06). Just how versatile can each of these be (accurately)? Can a 300wm be throated to fire 130gr pills all the way up to 200+ and still have sub moa accuracy?

With the extremely low BC's of the super lite for caliber bullets you're going to have a real hard time getting to and especially holding MOA or better beyond a couple of hundred yards.

Further if you cut the throat so short to accomodate the 120's you will run into OAL problems with mid and heavy weight bullets resulting in having them jammed way too far into the lands.

I probably would not want to go below the 165gr class bullets on the bottom end anyhow.

140-150gr bullets in the 7RM or STW are hell on predators and adequate for deer. You do have to be careful though to avoid using bullets that tend to be explosive at high velocity though if you have any intent on keeping hides.

Oh, I don't know. I have a 300wm, but there are sooooo many cartridges out there.

I might add the 338 wm, it seems pretty versatile. The 7mm RM (with the proper twist barrel) can deliver the mail wayyyy down range with some very high BC bullets. But... sometimes the grass just seems greener somewhere else. Probably if I started over, I'd still go back to the 300 wm.

I load my 300 winnie heavy though. Mainly 200 grain Partitions, but I do also like the 220 grn Partitions. I mainly use it for my timber elk gun.

Due to some trolls getting in a ****in match, my other thread got deleted, but the basic question is; what cartridge is the most versatile for north American game from deer to elk & moose to bear? The other thread whittled it down to 300wm or 7mm (and a few votes for 30-06). Just how versatile can each of these be (accurately)? Can a 300wm be throated to fire 130gr pills all the way up to 200+ and still have sub moa accuracy?

They're all great cartridges. All three will kill big game.

In my opinion, which I wish I had formed a long time ago, is as barometric pressure falls as we climb higher, there are less oxygen molecules in the atmosphere, which means an extra slice of roast beef on a sandwich is heavy. Breathing is not easy, especially when hiking ridges at altitude. Going with a Rocky Mountain altitude rifle, which means lighter, bigger cartridges will recoil more. That's why I'm doing everything from here on out with a .270 Win. I'll be hunting with one of my .270 Win rifles in two weeks in a Southern Utah deer unit.

A couple years ago I did a trophy elk rut hunt on National Forest land, I was carrying a 10 pound 7MM Rem Mag. My guide and I hunted a huge bull for about 2 & a half hours over I have no clue how many ridges. It was one of the most physically demanding sports I've done. I killed a 374 7x7 bull. The rub is I could have killed him just as dead with a much lighter .270 Win. After I killed that beast with one shot through its heart, I was just about as dead as he was.

Magnum cartridges in light rifles will kick the heck outta me when bench shooting. I've fired some big cartridges, enough to know that I don't like my brains scrambled.

Another excellent choice would be a .280 Rem. And I've read Tyson Leal's post. He has done quite well with his 6.5-284. If you hand load, that might be a perfect cartridge for you.

If you're not going to be carrying your rifle to tree lines, then a magnum cartridge might be the way to go.

Archery hunters kill HUGE bulls every year with arrows flying at ~300 FPS. It's all about shot placement, not magnum cartridges.

Measure twice, cut once.

I wish you the absolute best.

Last edited:
... That's why I'm doing everything from here on out with a .270 Win.

I turned my 270 win into a 280ai last year, which I don't regret at all. But the 270 is a sweetheart. :D I'd never argue against a guy choosing one.

I turned my 270 win into a 280ai last year, which I don't regret at all. But the 270 is a sweetheart. :D I'd never argue against a guy choosing one.

Were I given a hunting rifle do-over, I'd buy a .280 Rem and never need another rifle.

Some 25 years ago I wanted a serious elk rifle. So I bought a Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag. At that time, I had only my first hunting rifle: a Model 700 in .270 Win. It took me a while to figure out that I already had a perfectly suitable elk rifle. I did have a Belgian Browning .338 Win Mag, but I thought it was too powerful for everything I wanted to hunt in North America. And it's heavy. And it kicks like heck. You're 100 right: the .270 Win is a sweetheart. And it kills big game.

7mm's get it done. 7Rem Mag if you're not a handloader. 7LRM if you are.

The bullet selection for the 7's is incredible.

I love the concept of trying to answer the "versatility" question but each of us lives and hunts in different places so the answer is different for each of us.

If you reload then it can be almost anything.

Another way to look at versatility is energy at muzzle and at impact.

the 30-06 and every thing based on that case will have a muzzle energy of about 3200
the 300WM will have a muzzle energy around 3800
the 7mm RM will have about 3500
the xx-Noslers will have at least 4000

after that bullet choice based on game and range will let you customize for versatility.

For "you can buy ammo anywhere" for almost any use, it is still 30-06 and 300WM.

If I was facing ursus arctus while out moose/elk I'd still prefer a 300WM with 300 Oryx, Accubond, Partition or Swift A-Frame or a 180 TSX.

If I had to have one "chambering" and was allowed to load for any use. 300WM with a 10tw barrel.

It simply boils down to personal preference and applications between the 7MM Rem Mag and .300 WM, no need to complicate it unnecessarily. If you do a custom search on the top right hand corner, it has been debated many of times. Most of us that has both chambering will favor one over the other, regardless.

Mine would be the .300 WM, I personally do not load mine with anything less than 180. Load them with 215 Bergers or heavier and better BCs and you're golden, this however might require a 1:9" twist or faster.

The .300 WM is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. None of my rifles are throated for a specific bullet.

This is one of the best threads on .300 WM's real world successes (on elk harvests) and it's hard to beat >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

and

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts