264 vs 300wm vs 7mm. Looking for a new build.

What is the 7mm stw?
It is the one caliber here with such a following it has it's own forum.

7mm STW - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

It is an 8mm Rem Mag necked down to 7mm. Basically it's a 7mm Rem on steroids with about 200fps increase in velocity.

If you like flat shooting and hard hitting with enough power to take anything in N. America out to 1,000yds or more it's worth a look.

I own .264's, 7mm STW's (3) 300wm's (3) and 300 Rum's (3) and without a doubt the rifles I'm most likely to grab on any given day for any given hunt are the STW's.

With you having that 264 Wm and most factory chambrings of 7 mags not bring terribly impressive I would look at 300 win or ultra. I have a 7 mag but it's a custom long throated chamber that runs the 180 berger to 3060 fps, really close to a 7 stw. I'm guessing most factory chambers of 7 mag are 100 but closer to 150 fps behind it. That 264 win mag would probably be fine on deer out past 700 but I think marginal on elk past that, yes there are videos of people shooting elk way past that but I think they are over shooting the caliber. I shot an elk at 934 with my 7 mag and would call that pretty much the limit for it. That 264 win mag you have will probably cover 90% of your hunting. If I were you I would look to a rum to cover your really longrange work. No disrespect intended but there are a lot of new "longrange" shooters that think they can run out to 1000 yards no problem and it just isn't that easy, especially with the wind in cross canyon shooting. So if I misread that you only have shot out to 400 my bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.