Buy -VS- Build

Mudrunner, its always good to hear you chime in!!

I have to agree with the 700 action in a rifle of your choice and budget and a Burris or Monarch for $400 and spend the money on good rings and rail you want when you are done. Add the jewel when you have the $200. then spend the next $1000 shooting the barrel out of it while saving for a really good scope (the one you want to end up with. once you get the scope, swap them out and put the old one on another rifle or sell it. then all you have left is the barrel. have your action trued and but a good barrel on it. you know, I, and many others, have kicked ourselves but cheaping out a coupe of hundred bucks because we didn't want to save for another 6 months. by that time you will be a competent shooter and you will probably know what cartridge you want to chamber your new one in (if different). of course, that's probably 5-10 years down the road, and it gives you time to save money and shot all at the same time.

Mudrunner, its always good to hear you chime in!!

I have to agree with the 700 action in a rifle of your choice and budget and a Burris or Monarch for $400 and spend the money on good rings and rail you want when you are done. Add the jewel when you have the $200. then spend the next $1000 shooting the barrel out of it while saving for a really good scope (the one you want to end up with. once you get the scope, swap them out and put the old one on another rifle or sell it. then all you have left is the barrel. have your action trued and but a good barrel on it. you know, I, and many others, have kicked ourselves but cheaping out a coupe of hundred bucks because we didn't want to save for another 6 months. by that time you will be a competent shooter and you will probably know what cartridge you want to chamber your new one in (if different). of course, that's probably 5-10 years down the road, and it gives you time to save money and shot all at the same time.

This is good advice but many have demonstrated that factory savages can shoot out to 600+ with no problem and then you can screw on your own match grade barrel in whatever caliber you want down the road for 400 bucks and get yourself to 1000yards. Personally...rifles come and go but good optics can be passed from one rifle to the next...same with a good range finder as long as the electronics hold up. If he truelly wants to go out that far a good range finder and scope should be at the top of the list.

This is good advice but many have demonstrated that factory savages can shoot out to 600+ with no problem and then you can screw on your own match grade barrel in whatever caliber you want down the road for 400 bucks and get yourself to 1000yards. Personally...rifles come and go but good optics can be passed from one rifle to the next...same with a good range finder as long as the electronics hold up. If he truelly wants to go out that far a good range finder and scope should be at the top of the list.

Good rifle actions and barrels can be passed around too, just like good optics. Which is why my main hunting and shooting rifles all have the same rails, and are primarily Remington 700's. I do have a few other brand rifles, as well.

Good rifle actions and barrels can be passed around too, just like good optics. Which is why my main hunting and shooting rifles all have the same rails, and are primarily Remington 700's. I do have a few other brand rifles, as well.

Very true. I'm not an extreme long ranger like you so I can't back up everything I've said with experience just what I have heard and read. I do like Remingtons a lot and the aftermarket goodies are plentiful but I recently built a kick 7mm rem mag out of an old savage 110 my bro gave me. Total cost of my build was only 600 since I only needed to buy a barrel and stock. At 300 yards my groups are typically around an inch (.33MOA)

The chrono spreads also look very nice so I'd be willing to bet it holds this accuracy as far as I could accurately shoot it. Not sure if I just got lucky or not.

Very true. I'm not an extreme long ranger like you so I can't back up everything I've said with experience just what I have heard and read. I do like Remingtons a lot and the aftermarket goodies are plentiful but I recently built a kick 7mm rem mag out of an old savage 110 my bro gave me. Total cost of my build was only 600 since I only needed to buy a barrel and stock. At 300 yards my groups are typically around an inch (.33MOA)

The chrono spreads also look very nice so I'd be willing to bet it holds this accuracy as far as I could accurately shoot it. Not sure if I just got lucky or not.
My ego won't fit through the door if you keep that up. :D I can assure you, I am nothing more than a whitetail deer hunter who happens to get lucky on some LR metal targets every now and then. I wish I could agree with you, but I'm just a blip on the radar compared to most of these guys on here, when it comes to experience. Compared to most of these guys, I'm just as big a newbie at LR as some of yall are.

My main area of helpfulness is mostly in product, weapon, and caliber knowledge.

yep, if you like the Savage flavor, you can go that rout too. heck you could probably do it with a Winchester or a Ruger if you wanted, though those are used less often. I guess I did mine a little different. I put the Hart on before the scope. not sure if that was the right thing to do or not.

yep, if you like the Savage flavor, you can go that rout too. heck you could probably do it with a Winchester or a Ruger if you wanted, though those are used less often. I guess I did mine a little different. I put the Hart on before the scope. not sure if that was the right thing to do or not.

I don't really think any way is wrong if you are having fun! when it comes to scopes it really depends what your goals are but for ranges past 600 yards which I have not even got to yet...it is always highly suggested to buy scopes that are more middle of the road or higher. These tend to be the 600 dollar and higher scopes. The most important factor being repeatability in adjustments followed by clarity of glass. You can certainly get the repeatability part in higher end leupolds, burris, bushnells...etc. I myself am looking to get into a nicer scope and have been eyeballing the vortex viper pst/hst line. Lots of people use these out to 700 yards which will be my goal. Guys who start hunting/shooting to 1000 yards plus...start going into the zeiss, nightforce, Swarovski end of things which can get expensive quick!!!

I say another option is to scour the want adds and try and snag a used CUSTOM. There are some fine deals out there!!

I agree, I just bought a rifle yesterday that was advertised on armslist. It is a Savage FCP .300 WM, HS Precision stock, ferrall base, 6-25x56 mil-mil with millet rings, Harris 6-9 swivel notched leg bipod, butler creek caps, camo film dip. With under 40 rounds down it, all for $1100.00.gun)

Thanks IdahoCTD,

What makes the 5R milspec different than their heavy barrels? Why is it better, just trying to educate myself.

Thanks IdahoCTD,

What makes the 5R milspec different than their heavy barrels? Why is it better, just trying to educate myself.
They have Obermeyer-style 5R rifled barrels, compared to Remington's standard 6-groove rifling.

The 5R rifling doesn't pinch the bullet as it travels down the bore because it is never being pressed on exact opposite sides, whereas even number rifled barrels the bullet is being pinched on both exact opposite sides at the same time...

krieger5r02op.png

Ahh now I understand thanks. Yah I'm stuck on the Remington 700's as I have so many parts already and the wide range of aftermarket parts. Put an H-S Precision on my 7mm-08 ran some Tubbs polishing bullets down the tube and I'm getting 0.3" groups, maybe I got lucky. Sent my 375 H&H back to Remington 3 times to correct a problem and they never did correct it, but they did finally replace it. On scopes the fixed scopes will repeat better than variable power ones until you get into the $3,000 dollar range. Military snipers use fixed 10X scopes out to 1000+ meters, if they are good enough for them I can live with it. Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.