Buy -VS- Build

Thanks IdahoCTD,

What makes the 5R milspec different than their heavy barrels? Why is it better, just trying to educate myself.

On average the 5R's probably shoot better than a average heavy barreled Remington but they are also about 500.00 more than a Long Range. I'd take my chances on a Long Range and if it didn't shoot as well as I wanted I'd rebarrel it. In reality the heavy barrels can bring really good money if new and you could have a Benchmark barreled 700 for close to the price of the 5R. If it was me I'd do that, add a Jewell trigger, and a brake. You'd have a really nice gun for around 1500.00.

On average the 5R's probably shoot better than a average heavy barreled Remington but they are also about 500.00 more than a Long Range. I'd take my chances on a Long Range and if it didn't shoot as well as I wanted I'd rebarrel it. In reality the heavy barrels can bring really good money if new and you could have a Benchmark barreled 700 for close to the price of the 5R. If it was me I'd do that, add a Jewell trigger, and a brake. You'd have a really nice gun for around 1500.00.

Since your into Remington's I like this idea. Sounds like you would be better off in the long run.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.