264 vs 300wm vs 7mm. Looking for a new build.

tctt3

I have a 264 sendero, and a 308 700P all decked out for whitetail. Im just itching for another build, and im wondering what the real advantages are of going with a bigger magnum over the 264. I haven't stretched the 264 out yet to test it past 400yds, but it's a tack driver. Am I going to see much more range and usable energy from a 7mm or 300? My thoughts were to go with a 300 for an additional gun out west, but figured I'd ask for opinions. Just want to make sure if I'm looking over canyons at a monster at 1000yds, I can feel confident I can reach out and get him. People also seem to love the 300 or hate it. So, thoughts?

my vote will always be for the 264 win mag. I have 3 of them.
I also have a 300 win mag, 300 weatherby mag, 7mm rem mag and a few others.
my goto rifle is always a 264. but there is nothing wrong with either of the 2 choices you have mentioned. what are you planning on hunting with it?

Im trying to get a Maine moose draw, but I am also planning on taking a trip out west every year from here on out. I plan on doing the 2016 lrh elk trip in WY, since I missed the deadline for points this year!!! Im so mad I missed that! I believe the 264 would Prob be solid for anything in North America. I just want another toy. I guess I'm wondering if I'd see any real difference between the 264 and 300. Or, if I should just go ahead and get a 338 lapua. I've worked up loads for everything, wiring for my suppressor paperwork, and now I'm just getting antsy for something else that shoots flat and hard! Thanks for the quick feedback!

So many options for what you want to do.

I like a 338 caliber for your moose and elk goals.

Fast, flat and hard is the to define along with belted or not.

Belted: 338/300 Win Mag, 340 Wby, 338/8mm Rem Mag, 338-378 Wby
Non-Belted: 338-06, 338-300WSM, 338/26-Nosler, 338RUM, 338LM, 338 Edge 338 Pro

I'm sure there are more.

Then it's the load.

or

Any 30 cal from 30-06 up.

IMO It's the bullet, barrel and load, not the chambering.

Before I offer my opinion, I'd mention that I'm not a mindless lemming just following the masses (over the cliff of blind ignorance and.....).

Also, for any hunting rifle/chambering the use of premium bullets, a load optimized for the barrel/rifle in a superbly accurate platform with appropriate optics are all presumed.

Like many here, I select chamberings/calibers based on anticipated range, what I'm hunting and ability to deliver more than enough power necessary to ensure immediate lethality.

A 20mm Anzio would not be entirely out of the question! :rolleyes:

So, I break down hunting range into 2 categories - 0-700 yds and truly long range (my parameters). For me, truly long range is from 700yds out to my max., skill level in a rifle platform not too heavy to schlepp up the mountains.

For example, I'm planning 2 builds. I currently have a 7mm Rem mag - very similar to your 264 Win Mag in practical application. However, I'd like to get a little more ummmph for this "level" of rifle and will have a 7mm/300 Win mag built. I see this as the 0-700yds rifle for anything I'm going to hunt.

For the truly long range applications I'm planning a 338 Lapua "Improved" or some similar variant (there are a few to choose from - I like Kirby Allen's "338 Raptor"). I'm wanting this level of rifle to be able to easily achieve ~3,100fps with a 300gr bullet (Berger, SMK, etc).

I don't anticipate shooting past ~1,300yds so a 338 Lapua Improved variant will provide ample "hammer" to anything I hunt in a platform of reasonable weight.

The 300 magnum crowd will arrive shortly extolling the virtues of the .30 caliber of which there is some merit. However, for me and long-range hunting a fast .338 caliber bullet makes a convincing, well-rounded argument.

There are big, fast .375's available - something like the 375/408 CheyTac chambering, but for me they're not as "mountain portable" as I need. For me, the fast 338's have a nice balance optimizing power and portability.

Im trying to get a Maine moose draw, but I am also planning on taking a trip out west every year from here on out. I plan on doing the 2016 lrh elk trip in WY, since I missed the deadline for points this year!!! Im so mad I missed that! I believe the 264 would Prob be solid for anything in North America. I just want another toy. I guess I'm wondering if I'd see any real difference between the 264 and 300. Or, if I should just go ahead and get a 338 lapua. I've worked up loads for everything, wiring for my suppressor paperwork, and now I'm just getting antsy for something else that shoots flat and hard! Thanks for the quick feedback!

If you want to see a big gain over the .264WM, jump on up to the 7mm STW with Berger 180's... Then you should find what you've been looking for.

If you want to see a big gain over the .264WM, jump on up to the 7mm STW with Berger 180's... Then you should find what you've been looking for.
Yep, with what he's got and what he's planning the STW or 300wm will more than fit the bill for the future.

The 300 Rum is also worth consideration but the other two are more than enough for anything in N. America, cheaper to shoot, with less recoil and muzzle blast to put up with.

Moose are huge animals but the experts tell me they just aren't particularly difficult to bring down. Remember in Europe most of them are killed with the 6.5x55.

On bad days big bullets will out perform smaller bullets regardless of individual favorites.
What he said.:D

Big is good.

As discussed, you can kill a moose or elk with a 30-30. Maybe even a 5.56 in a MSR but these are far from 'ideal' or the guides would be using them.

If you like or don't care about belts, add the 7mm STW or even 8mm Rem Mag to your possibles.

If you don't like belts, the chamberings I mentioned previously will fill the bill.

Oh and there is: 264, 7mm, or 338 to start with in a factory gun. If it don't do it, rechamber to Nosler variant, 7mm STW or other. Bolts and feed rails should be a non-issue.

I have a 7RM, my next build is probably gonna be a 30o win mag. Just looking for a hair more power on the back end of my longest desired range of 1000yds. Can't go wrong really with any of your choices though.

I have a 264 sendero, and a 308 700P all decked out for whitetail. Im just itching for another build, and im wondering what the real advantages are of going with a bigger magnum over the 264. I haven't stretched the 264 out yet to test it past 400yds, but it's a tack driver. Am I going to see much more range and usable energy from a 7mm or 300? My thoughts were to go with a 300 for an additional gun out west, but figured I'd ask for opinions. Just want to make sure if I'm looking over canyons at a monster at 1000yds, I can feel confident I can reach out and get him. People also seem to love the 300 or hate it. So, thoughts?

Not to be rude but if you have only shot out to 400 yards what makes you think that you are ready for 1000 yard cross canyon shooting? To answer your question though I feel that 1000 yards with a 7 Rem mag is really at its limit, especially in a factory 7mag chamber. The 300 win mag is a good round and capable of accomplishing this task. Since you have the lower ranges covered with the 264 out 700 it sounds like you want a 700 yard plus rifle I would look to the ultra mag offerings.

I believe you misread. I haven't shot that 264 out past 400yds. i haven't shot any of my 264's out past that. I've gotten all of them very recently in an estate sale, shot the sendero a handful of times to work up loads, aided by my bro that has a custom 264, and took the leupold competition scope off and sold it here. i just really don't know much about the caliber and learning it's limits. Seems like you believe it's limited to 700yds. Im just trying to see where I go next, and not duplicate something I already have. A member here is selling a custom 7mm that looks nice. So, if they're range and energy is pretty equal, it doesn't make much sense as an addition.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.