7mm/300wsm vs?

ceard

Alright, I got my S20 in, made a post with initial thoughts for those interested. I will be sending it to be re-barreled soon. And am deciding on exactly what I want. Originally I was going 7prc after making a post and seeing some suggestion, but wildcats for some reason have always scratched and itch in my brain a bit, I'm going to be reloading and I don't mind resizing brass. I was looking at the 7-300WSM as I already have a decent amount of 300WSM norma brass that I don't have a rifle for I was looking at a long throated 7-300WSM. hoping to push 185-195s at 3100-3200. but I am only basing that off what I saw someone else had claimed. I would just like to break the 3000 mark if possible. Just looking for suggestion or cautions. Or maybe a different round if I would be better off with something I haven't looked at. Also would appreciate possible outlooks on barrel life as I found some conflicting posts from across the web of 300-1600, (I know it won't be super long) but from looking around a bit It looks like I will get more than if I did a 28 Nosler.

Last edited:
Alright, I got my S20 in, made a post with initial thoughts for those interested. I will be sending it to be re-barreled soon. And am deciding on exactly what I want. Originally I was going 7prc after making a post and seeing some suggestion, but wildcats for some reason have always scratched and itch in my brain a bit, I'm going to be reloading and I don't mind resizing brass. I was looking at the 7-300WSM as I already have a decent amount of 300WSM norma brass that I don't have a rifle for I was looking at a long throated 7-300WSM. hoping to push 185-195s at 3100-3200. Just looking for suggestion or cautions. Or maybe a different round if I would be better off with something I haven't looked at. Also would appreciate possible outlooks on barrel life as I found some conflicting posts from across the web of 300-1600, (I know it won't be super long) but from looking around a bit It looks like I will get more than if I did a 28 Nosler.
That seems pretty fast unless your running a 30" barrel

Sorry I was at work and was forgot to add that while I was hoping for that I was wanting some better/real would numbers as those where numbers I saw from someone on another forum and they did not post a follow up on if they where able to achieve it. I also saw someone saying that they where able to get 3125 with room with 185s on a 26 with a long throat but that is also (if I remember right I've been browsing alot looking for newer info) where I saw the 300rounds per barrel, so I was really hoping for some better more consistent info from some of the guys on here. I know alot of guys have done 7mm builds here, What should I except from a 7-300wsm?
thankyou for mentioning that I guess I didn't proofread what I was saying well enough. I added a note now.

Last edited:
My 7-300 gets 2950-2975 for best accuracy with 180 Berger or 175 ABLR. Velocity is WAY down my list of importance. Repeatable accuracy is number one and terminal performance is number 2. Velocity over 3000 is really not a factor. With my round, I have enough energy to ethically take game at 700 yards and in, which today is about as far as I want to shoot, and in most of my lands, that is the max distance.

hoping to push 185-195s at 3100-3200.
Highly doubtful unless you really the push your pressure curve into a region where it doesn't belong.

As noted above, 2950 was an accuracy node we found when we built these 20 years ago. Too many folks didn't like the short neck on the 7 WSM case so we necked down the 300 WSM to get the longer neck back. Reality dawned eventually and the 7mmWSM with it's shorter neck was accepted. Too late since Winchester didn't keep the manufacturing levels up to the then current demand.

We played with several cartridge cases in order to find a better case capacity with efficiency and barrel life. While there are a few, quite a number of folks insist that they are getting some unrealistic numbers for different combinations, especially with those heavy for caliber bullets you name. Welcome to the internet!

Until Winchester and the other manufacturers decide to get off their butts and actually produce brass instead of just ammunition, we're SOL! :(

The unacknowledged 7mm Rem Mag and the 7x61 Super S&H (Norma) are both available and ready to support your hunting needs at that 2950 fps level. You can also jump on the 7 PRC bandwagon. I can't recommend the 7mm RUM or variations due to short barrel life. I have an original version of the 7mm Norma Mag Improved we built back then which performed with excellence but failed in the barrel life category. I have rebarreled it again in that same 7mm but barrel life will be better from the lack of testing necessary this time. The hunting life of this new barrel will be significantly improved.

Have fun with your project but do some more searching using reliable sources!

:)

With RL23 I get 3100 with a Berger 180 hybrid and 2950-60ish with a 195EOL and 32" barrel. With some of the hot rod powders you could probably hit those numbers with a shorter barrel. Necking down 300wsm is a pita, it's a lot easier to neck up 270wsm if you can find it. ADG is in the process of making 270wsm brass.

Barrel life doesn't factor in to any of my builds, which is why I built something I could get brass for, which was a 7STW, velocities are above 3,000fps with most weights, but again, accuracy trumps velocity.
Sure, this round has some drawbacks, but being able to load it long in a REM 700 diminishes the negatives, and you can single load it too if you desire.
I used to build both the 25-300WSM & 6.5-300WSM on LA Win Model 70's, it is a good round, but I found it lacking with pressure issues back in 2000/1 with the lack of suitable powders.
A 7SAUM be a better option, but I don't know what the brass situation is at the moment.

Cheers.

I'm really liking my 7-300PRC, 26" tube running H1000 and Berger 180 @ 3135fps without leaning on it. Have a load also with the 180 HVLD and LRT that gets me 3270fps (that's a little hotter load😎). I tried the 195s and LRT, but the barrel didn't like them and they didn't feed from my action so I gave up. They were running in the 3130fps range. 300PRC brass is everywhere and easy to neck down

I was looking into 7-300PRC and saw a thread here on the 7 Sherman Mega, but I have yet to find the COAL on 185s-195s also there is a lot of conflicting velocity data it seems. The internal of the max length for factory S20 mags is 3.61 so I need to stay within that, and I want a round that keeps the back of the bullet from sitting in the powder collum like the 28 Nosler sits with longer rounds.
I called ADG about brass but haven't received a message back. I am not terribly worried about barrel life, but I want to get 1000rounds if possible. I read a few places that the Shermans don't run though barrels due to the 40° shoulder and I don't want to be putting a new barrel on in less than a year's span. And realistically I could see shooting 500-1000 a year.
As for hunting I don't currently have access to anywhere with any further than 500y. there may be some further if I cleared some lanes, but I don't have time to do all that and I don't need to take long shot to get a deer here if I am patient. Only time I would take a shot that far is if one of the few large older deer we have decided to walk out. I will mostly be shooting paper and steel at 500-1000 and then once a month or so at 1600y.

If necking down 300wsm is not worth it, then there's no reason for me to go with the 7-300wsm because the reason I started looking at it was the fact that I have a decent amount of brass for it now.