300wsm vs 7mm-08

Backwoods Boy

hey guys, Im thinking about building a hunting rifle for 800yds or under. Im thinking about either upgrading my 700 sps in 300wsm or starting from scratch and build a 7mm-08. Ill be hunting deer, yotes, and as soon as they cross the county line hogs. I already have both calibers, the 300wsm in the 700 sps and the 7mm-08 in a model 7 that Im going to leave(I love that little gun), so I would like to stick with these two to minimize the different calibers I would have to feed. Anybody have any feedback on these two for this type of range? Also which barrel length would be best suited?

P.S. I dont currently reload but Im planning on starting

if your going to shoot deer at that distance go with the 300wsm.the 7mm-08 just isn't going to cut it.its a nice little round but i wouldn't push it much past 400 yards on deer.both of them have great bullet selection and can be very accurate but the 300wsm has the ability to push heavier bullets down range.if you're recoil sensitive then you can go with a muzzlebrake but thats not always the best option.i have had both cartridges chamered in several different setups and have had good luck with them all but each one had a different job.

I could have swore I read on here before about pushing the -08 out further than 400 yards. I have no problem shooting 300 with a model 7. I'm not recoil shy and love the thump of that 300wsm. I planned on using a 150-175 grain bullet in the -08 if that makes a difference

its not that uncommon for people to talk about what they can do with a certain cartridge and the game they take with it but 400 yards is what i feel is about max on whitetail.your talking about twice that distance.there are plenty of people that will tell you that the 7mm-08 will work at longer distances but its obvious that the 300wsm will do it better at that range.remember,hitting the animal at that disance is one thing but hitting it with a round that can effectivly kill it are two different things

The only thing was going to shoot at the full 800 would be the yotes, i was only thinking around 500 for deer. But the 300wsm will do for just as well. What length barrel should I be looking at getting?

I wouldn't spend another dime on barrels, upgrades, optics, or builds until you're fully invested in handloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.