300wsm vs 7wsm

The recoil in my 300 wsm with the 150 load I gave you is fairly mild in a 7 pound rifle and is fun to carry. Your accuracy will get better with weight though. I have really fought that battle lately with age creeping up on me. It is all give and take.

Montanarifleman, You are dead on the money with the GS bullet and 300 WSM. I am going to be testing that setup for next hunting season. I have got a lot of rifles and test a lot of stuff and right now I am leaning toward the 300 WSM with the GS bullet as the best light carry rifle a guy can hunt with long range without a muzzle brake. I know I love mine and I have over a 100 rifles now and have built virtually every wildcat caliber you could imagine through the years. I agree and really think you are on to something there. The 300 WSM is extremely accurate and very easy on the shoulder compared to the standard magnums.

One other thought if you want the best 600 yard deer rifle and want to consider another cartridge. The 257 wby shooting a 100 grain bullet at 3780 fps has low recoil in a 10 pound rifle. Mine is a standard wby Mk 5 and shoots 1 1/2" groups at 400 yards. It is a lazer death ray on deer, antelope, caribou to 600 yards. It shoots so flat that hits on deer to 600 yards are trivial. The 300 WSM is more versatile though with the heavier, larger caliber, higher BC of the GS bullet having the ability to go well beyong 600 yards on larger game. But you said deer to 600. I would take my 257 wby with that criteria.

Long time,
I actually have a 25-06 right now that I love. It puts em down hard, but I am just wanting to add something bigger to my choices.
I will probably put a break on the gun just to keep recoil to a minimum so that wouldn't be an issue with the 300 if I decided to go that route.
Thanks

Well there ya go, use the 208 Hornady a-max, with RL17 or H4350 and go with the 300WSM. Problem solved. You'll be good to 1000 yards for any furry footed four legged creature.

Tank

Yeah, I keep waffling on the 7SAUM. I am always looking for efficiency with cost in mind. That is the why I am looking at both the 7-300 and 7 SAUM. I would venture a guess that these two calibers would give a little better barrel life as well.

What is your opinion on barrel life.

Tank

Tank,

I could only guess at the 7WSM barrel life. The 300 WSM has a good rep for barrel life.. I read one article where a guy won a competiton with 4000 rounds down the tube. Barrel life will be greatly affected by how hot your loads are... how hot you shoot the barrel and how well you maitain it. All that being equal, i think the 7WSM will out live the 7 RM, like the 300 WSM will outl ive the 300 WM. The 7 is more overbore than the 300 so it probably wont last as long. My guess.... with a well maintained and not abused barrel, 2000-3000 rounds. Maybe some 7WSM shooters can jump in.

Mark

The recoil in my 300 wsm with the 150 load I gave you is fairly mild in a 7 pound rifle and is fun to carry. Your accuracy will get better with weight though. I have really fought that battle lately with age creeping up on me. It is all give and take.

Montanarifleman, You are dead on the money with the GS bullet and 300 WSM. I am going to be testing that setup for next hunting season. I have got a lot of rifles and test a lot of stuff and right now I am leaning toward the 300 WSM with the GS bullet as the best light carry rifle a guy can hunt with long range without a muzzle brake. I know I love mine and I have over a 100 rifles now and have built virtually every wildcat caliber you could imagine through the years. I agree and really think you are on to something there. The 300 WSM is extremely accurate and very easy on the shoulder compared to the standard magnums.

Long Time Long Ranger, I think the 300 WSM and the GS 177 are a great combo... I think they can eclipse and even pass the 300 RUM with the standard bullets. I think with RL17, 3300 fps is very doable with the GS 177, with a high BC and 1600 fps expanding velocity. That puts it over 1200 yds at lower elevations. My 300 RUM shooting a 180 E-Tip @ 3420 is a 1200 yd rifle @ 8000' elevation, with 25% more powder.

Mark

Long time,
I actually have a 25-06 right now that I love. It puts em down hard, but I am just wanting to add something bigger to my choices.
I will probably put a break on the gun just to keep recoil to a minimum so that wouldn't be an issue with the 300 if I decided to go that route.
Thanks

Arthur, I have a 25-06 as well... what a sweet cartridge! It's a tack driver for sure and I'm getting 3500 fps with 110 AB's and 3405 fps with 115 Ballistic Silvertips with RL17. Shot a buck antelope with it a couple weekends ago at 280 yds... it was like shooting point blank.

As far as recoil goes, I'm shooting a 300 RUM without a brake. I have put almost 200 rounds through it in the last couple of weeks and shot about 50 yesterday. I use a slip-on recoil pad and it is sweet. You definitely know you're shooting it when you touch off 90-100 grs of powder behind a 180-210 gr bullet. It rocks me back, but doesn't cause me any discomfort. I do the same with the 300 WSM. I could shoot either or both alllllll day with no hint of a sore shoulder. The slip-on can be removed in the field, and I never feel the recoil when shooting at game. The draw back is you will never see your impact. But I almost always hear or see the results of the impact. something to consider.

Mark

MontanaRifleman,
I do love the 25-06! Mine shoots in the .3's and .4's all day long with the 100 grain ballistic tip and it puts them on the ground fast.
I'm a softy when it comes to recoil. I bought a 7 ultra about 6 years ago and shot the barrel out on it and I still cant get over the flinch it gave me. I've been scared of anything with some good kick on it ever since. Even though the brakes are loud as hell and it feels like a howitzer is being fired right next to you, I would probably put a break on the gun. I'm going to do some recoil calculations and think about it.

I have a muzzle brake on my new 300wsm and love it. This is the first braked rifle I have ever shot and it makes a big difference. I could shot this thing all day and never know it.

The muzzle blast is less than I expected but the noise will have you running for cover if not wearing ear plugs. Done this on accident the first day shooting and I do believe I will never do it again.

So what do you guys pay for those GS bullets per hundred? I have checked them out before, but really didn't look into it due to not having state side distributor.

Where are you guys getting the B.C info and weight from for the GS bullets? I went to the site and the bullets I was looking at were in the .5's I believe. Was I looking at the wrong kind of bullet or are they using the G7 model? If someone could post a link to exactly what they're looking at it would be appreciated. Im looking for a new bullet for my .338 RUM. They're 225's were comparable to the AB for way more $$. Unless maybe to guys are talking about they're target bullet?

So what do you guys pay for those GS bullets per hundred? I have checked them out before, but really didn't look into it due to not having state side distributor.

Tank, it looks the price has gone up a little. $84.50 per 50, plus $4.30 frieght, plus $13.00 shipping. You can save a little on the shipping with bulk orders, but still very spendy bullets. Close to $2.00 per.... good incentive not to burn out a barrel real quick :cool::D

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - HV Bullets Order Form USA, South America,Canada

Where are you guys getting the B.C info and weight from for the GS bullets? I went to the site and the bullets I was looking at were in the .5's I believe. Was I looking at the wrong kind of bullet or are they using the G7 model? If someone could post a link to exactly what they're looking at it would be appreciated. Im looking for a new bullet for my .338 RUM. They're 225's were comparable to the AB for way more $$. Unless maybe to guys are talking about they're target bullet?

Angus, Here's the tech data for the GS bullets. If you click on the bullet ID, you'll get more detailed info.

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Recommended Use and Technical Data

I was skeptical of the 177's published BC. I figured they would probably be in the .5 - .55 range, but RockyMtnMT recently tested them with his 30-378 out to 960 yds and found the drops consistant with the BC.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/drops-matched-advertised-bcs-47318/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/gs-bullet-antelope-hunting-47760/

BTW guys... these bullets require at least a 10 twist.... longer barrels and high velocites would be best for these bullets. RockyMtnMT is running them through a 30-378 @ 3660 fps with I believe a 27 or 28 inch barrel. I'll be trying them in my Sendero RUM, 26" barrel and expect velocities of 3500 fps plus.

Mark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.