Most versatile chambering for handloaders?

Rick_W

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

From distances of 25-50 yards to say 400.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?

waterdog540

LRH Team Member
Though not ideal for most of the game you named, and certainly very under-gunned for large brown bear, my choice would still be 30-06 AI...

Fortunately, I have many choices at my disposal, from 223 Rem all the way up to 416 Rem Mag, with at least one rifle in every "common caliber" in between.
300 Win Mag. Easy to load for. Great bullet selection.

MudRunner2005

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?
Easy choice... .308 Winchester or 7mm-08 Remington.

MachV

Brown bear,moose and elk area pipe dream for most , if you can aford them you can aford an appropriate gun and or round.
So that leves us with black bear,deer and hogs....in that case a lot of rounds will work.
The 45-70 might struggle a little at 400 but other old rounds like the Sweede, 06 or 308 as well as many other youngsters would work.
Best?? I'm still lookin
https://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/09outandabout 586.jpg

Buster Hemlock

One gun for everything I'd say 7 SAUM, I have one and believe it would get it done on everything with the right bullet. Little less than ideal for the big stuff but still capable, little much for the smaller stuff, just right for the in between. Don't think it's ideal for everything but in playing the game of you only get one that's what I'm taking.

lancetkenyon

With the possible exclusion of brown bear, I would pick .280AI or 7RM. Plenty for any of the other game well past 400 with the right bullet choice.

Taken elk from 40 to 662 with my 7RM pushing 180s. Deer don't stand a chance, out to 888 on mulies.

Several buddies have killed just about all north American game from 20 to 1000+ with both the .280AI and 7RM.

Last edited:

CVCOBRA1

On a forum where we see all these speedster bullets, he did mention cast. Not quite a 400 yarder but I have to bring up the 7 X 57 Mauser. A good 175 gr. cast gas checked bullet would punch through the boiler room of any of the animals mentioned. And a total joy to shoot.

memtb

I would think any fast 35 cal.and up. With cast bullets, you have enough starting bullet diameter for big game. When using jacketed or mono’s, easily a 400 yard rifle. I’m pretty fond of my .375 AI, it’s pretty darn good with cast bullets, and I can almost double that 400 yards with my chosen mono bullet!

The 35 calibers also give you the capability of using handgun bullets, for cheap, low velocity plinking! memtb

FEENIX

LRH Team Member

The .300 Win Mag is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Because brownies is in the mix my minimum would be .338 WM with a preference for the .375R/H&H ... but that's just me.

Last edited:

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce