Most versatile chambering for handloaders?

Where bison are concerned, caliber / minimum energy requirements are enforced in some areas, particularly in BC and Alberta where I have hunted. Basically the governing bodies want hunters to use a 30-06 or larger.

35cal is nice for plinking because there are a lot of cast bullets and molds available in the .356-.358 range. (Think .357 / .38 Special :cool: )

Last edited:
I would Shoot anyone that tried to force me to live with one rifle but I could survive quite well in North America with a good 223- AR or Bolt Gun, doesn't matter, and a 30 Caliber Mag of some flavor. (I have a 30 Nosler but being stuck with any of the other flavors wouldn't handicap me). Of course you couldn't pry my Magnum Research 10-22 from my fingers because 22 LRs are a must have. My 4 5/8" RSB in 44 Mag and a Browning Buckmark in said 22 LR would round out my Minimalist's 5 Gun Battery.

Sounds like you need a 223 and a 458 Win Mag to round things out! :)
I have one of the two. By the thought of this thread, maybe you could guess which. ;)

I have no NEED for anything larger than my .308 - but I WANT something new.

I really like the LOOKS of the Ruger Guide Gun and Ruger Hawkeye African. I really, really like the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, but those aren't available yet.

With the exception of .30-06 in the Guide Gun - I'd be looking at .300WM or .338WM in any of the others if I decided to scratch that itch, and the .30-06 Guide Gun doesn't appear readily available at the online dealers.

Looking at those particular rifles, in their available calibers, is what got me to thinking of buying one and down-loading for the game we have around here. Then, maybe, one day I'll be able to use it to it's full potential on a dream hunt.

I do appreciate everyone's input, and there's no need to stop.

I've never seen .35 Whelen except in single-shot, break-action rifles.

I'm actually considering a new rifle.

Long shots in my neck of the swamps are at most 150-200 yards.

I have .308 and 7RUM. My wife has taken possession of my .308 and I don't care for the 7RUM. It's not the recoil, just something about it I don't like.

Lots of small deer and big hog down here. And the occasional black bear which are not viable game. Lots of coyotes, too.

I'd like to take a guided trip for moose, brown bear and bison before I die. And I don't plan on that happening in foreseeable future!

The topic is just a thought I had.

Where are you writing from? What and where do you plan on hunting? Your question is a bit confusing. Personally I have a few rifles and shotguns to hunt with and cannot for the life of me see try to get one rifle to do all that you have stated that you want to hunt. If I had to choose just one, it would the the 45-70 if cast bullets were on the menu. If the 45-70/45-90 was good for buffalo back in the day, they certainly are good for the same game today. I have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun that I shoot 8 inch steel plates with out to 300 yards, however I do not consider it to be a good, long range rifle. Some of the shooters at my club shoot cast bullets at 400 yard buffalo shoots, on simulated buffalo targets. There's bullet molds and designs of bullets for just about every caliber made, so you will get lots of replies stating one's personal preference for a particular cartridge that would be for a "just one" kind of gun. I have a .22lr for stuff that is a nuisance around the house, a .222 for coyote which is the center fire caliber that I can use in this state. I like the .270 Winchester, or in my particular case .270AI, for long range, thin skinned animals, I use the Whelen for black bear hunting, and probably would do something like a .340 Weatherby or a .358 Norma mag for grizzly. The Whelen "probably" would be a good grizzly round, but I do not like to rely on "a probably" cartridge when my good health or life are concerned.

I have one of the two. By the thought of this thread, maybe you could guess which. ;)

I have no NEED for anything larger than my .308 - but I WANT something new.

I really like the LOOKS of the Ruger Guide Gun and Ruger Hawkeye African. I really, really like the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, but those aren't available yet.

With the exception of .30-06 in the Guide Gun - I'd be looking at .300WM or .338WM in any of the others if I decided to scratch that itch, and the .30-06 Guide Gun doesn't appear readily available at the online dealers.

Looking at those particular rifles, in their available calibers, is what got me to thinking of buying one and down-loading for the game we have around here. Then, maybe, one day I'll be able to use it to it's full potential on a dream hunt.

I do appreciate everyone's input, and there's no need to stop.

I've never seen .35 Whelen except in single-shot, break-action rifles.

I have a 35 Whelen, built it after I found the .338 WinMag too much gun/recoil for my liking. The 35 Whelen is a necked up 30-06 case to 35 caliber. There's also a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved that adds a bit more horsepower to the round. From your posts you seem a bit undecided, I suggest that you take your time, look around and wait until you find that particular rifle, that you have been looking for, with your name on it. For that big hunt that you have described, I would suggest nothing less than the .338 WinMag, you could easily load the cartridge down to modest loads that would be good for plinking and target shooting. I've read some posts where the .338-06 was suggested. You easily could download to the ballistics of this cartridge; or even go lighter. There's plenty of high-end configurations/models of rifles that are manufactured for the .338 WInMag, components are readily available anywhere, as is the factory ammunition. There's a tremendous selection of LR bullets to make those long shots to choose from.

sorry but your cast bullet info is just very WRONG,

Good question......
1. Self cast bullets out to 400 yards requires a precision difficult to obtain.
2. Not a lot of people can shoot very accurately to 400 yards ( hit a dinner plate 4 out of 5 shots)
3. So..... I would recommend:
a) forget cast bullets.
b) buy a 30:06 bolt action. ( a bolt will be tougher than pump or lever for self loads)
c) buy a large selection of different grained factour bullets. The beauty of 30:06... huge selection.
d) study the ballistic tables of different grain bullets out to 300 yards.
e) load up a pile of self loads and practice ...keeping accurate data as to which powder / bullet combination gives you the most accuracy.
note.....if you were to shoot 50 practice shots with a 30:06.... then try it with a 338....well...your shoulder will not need to be replaced.

I would Shoot anyone that tried to force me to live with one rifle but I could survive quite well in North America with a good 223- AR or Bolt Gun, doesn't matter, and a 30 Caliber Mag of some flavor. (I have a 30 Nosler but being stuck with any of the other flavors wouldn't handicap me). Of course you couldn't pry my Magnum Research 10-22 from my fingers because 22 LRs are a must have. My 4 5/8" RSB in 44 Mag and a Browning Buckmark in said 22 LR would round out my Minimalist's 5 Gun Battery.
You forgot the shotgun. Must have!!! Now you are at 6

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.