Most versatile chambering for handloaders?

You forgot the shotgun. Must have!!! Now you are at 6
Thank you. My Beretta 350 Outland must be in there too! I used to shoot an 870 but that's young man stuff. I need an auto loader now and won the Beretta in a Raffle. It has served me well. So 6 Gun Minimalist's Battery it is.

I have a 35 Whelen, built it after I found the .338 WinMag too much gun/recoil for my liking. The 35 Whelen is a necked up 30-06 case to 35 caliber. There's also a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved that adds a bit more horsepower to the round. From your posts you seem a bit undecided, I suggest that you take your time, look around and wait until you find that particular rifle, that you have been looking for, with your name on it. For that big hunt that you have described, I would suggest nothing less than the .338 WinMag, you could easily load the cartridge down to modest loads that would be good for plinking and target shooting. I've read some posts where the .338-06 was suggested. You easily could download to the ballistics of this cartridge; or even go lighter. There's plenty of high-end configurations/models of rifles that are manufactured for the .338 WInMag, components are readily available anywhere, as is the factory ammunition. There's a tremendous selection of LR bullets to make those long shots to choose from.
You're right - I have no idea if I'll buy a new rifle - and if I do what it will shoot.

I was looking at what's available from the different manufacturers, saw something that caught my eyes, saw what those rifles were chambered in, and then asked myself the question that started this thread.

You're right - I have no idea if I'll buy a new rifle - and if I do what it will shoot.

I was looking at what's available from the different manufacturers, saw something that caught my eyes, saw what those rifles were chambered in, and then asked myself the question that started this thread.
I would buy a stainless synthetic 375 in a factory rifle that you like. If custom, a 358 medium magnum like a 358 norma

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

From distances of 25-50 yards to say 400.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?

I think it is a good topic. While I will always have way more rifles than I need I have been trying very hard to narrow it down to just a few that I hunt with. Shoulder and eye trouble has made things a bit more complicated. Even though I don't own one yet I have pretty well settled on a 35Whelan for my big gun and without a doubt a 223 is my little gun. I just want 2 'more inbetween. Keep thinking 300wsm and go back in forth between a 260ai and a 7/08.If I could still get along with a 338 wm would do away with the 300wsm and the whelen. Things seemed so much simpler when I just picked up my 06 and went hunting. That'is deer season I just put the 06 and the 223 in the truck and went hunting.never pulled out the 7mag or any of the others.never missed them either.

I have one of the two. By the thought of this thread, maybe you could guess which. ;)

I have no NEED for anything larger than my .308 - but I WANT something new.

I really like the LOOKS of the Ruger Guide Gun and Ruger Hawkeye African. I really, really like the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, but those aren't available yet.

With the exception of .30-06 in the Guide Gun - I'd be looking at .300WM or .338WM in any of the others if I decided to scratch that itch, and the .30-06 Guide Gun doesn't appear readily available at the online dealers.

Looking at those particular rifles, in their available calibers, is what got me to thinking of buying one and down-loading for the game we have around here. Then, maybe, one day I'll be able to use it to it's full potential on a dream hunt.

I do appreciate everyone's input, and there's no need to stop.

I've never seen .35 Whelen except in single-shot, break-action rifles.
Buy the 375. You can down load it to play with and hunt with full power loads with controlled expansion bullets. Shoot deer and hogs in the ribs. You will be surprised. You can eat right up to the bullet hole with the right bullets. When you finally get to go on an expensive hunt, it will be with a rifle you know well and have confidence in. Very important when bothering any animal that even occasionally has man on the menu. Those type of creatures should be shot very carefully. Make the first one count!! And you will have a great trip with a lifetime of memories.

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?
The 35 Whelen and the 30-06 would probably suit your needs, with or without jacketed bullets. There are a number of cast bullet offerings for both cartridges which will work out to at least 400 yards, and if you powder coat the cast bullets, you can boost them to very good velocities. There are very few animals that will keep going after taking a hit from a cast 250 or 270 grain 358 caliber bullet, even at 400 yards.

I didn't read all the replies but the choice for your stated application would be an easy one for me. I would choose a 375 H&H Mag.

I have one of the two. By the thought of this thread, maybe you could guess which. ;)

I have no NEED for anything larger than my .308 - but I WANT something new.

I really like the LOOKS of the Ruger Guide Gun and Ruger Hawkeye African. I really, really like the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, but those aren't available yet.

With the exception of .30-06 in the Guide Gun - I'd be looking at .300WM or .338WM in any of the others if I decided to scratch that itch, and the .30-06 Guide Gun doesn't appear readily available at the online dealers.

Looking at those particular rifles, in their available calibers, is what got me to thinking of buying one and down-loading for the game we have around here. Then, maybe, one day I'll be able to use it to it's full potential on a dream hunt.

I do appreciate everyone's input, and there's no need to stop.

I've never seen .35 Whelen except in single-shot, break-action rifles.
Remington has a 7600 pump out in 35 whelen . A nice handy carbine with devastating power.

You are not likely to hunt brown bear/polar bear. So 7mmRM, 300 WM, 300 WSM, 30-06 1st tier 308, 7-08, 35 whelen, 280 2nd.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.