Most versatile chambering for handloaders?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Rick_W, Apr 7, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Alibiiv

Alibiiv Well-Known Member

And..................this is where the fight started!:mad:;) Anything that the .280 Ackley Improved can do the .270 Ackley Improved can do or better!!! It may not be as popular because it hasn't caught on due to some 1950's bad press and old powders. .007 thousandths of an inch does not make that much difference when it comes to deciding which round is most effective for calibers. Wait a couple of years, some ammunition manufacturer, who has run out of new ammunition to manufacture, will check the market to find what has not been lauded, boasted and what IS dreamed about. Then the cartridge will receive an incredible marketing campaign, written up in every possible hunting and shooting magazine as the latest laser round in the world, that will drop and elephant at 1000 yards, and it will become the latest/greatest round of the 21st century, the .270 Ackley Improved Creedmore!! Please don't get me wrong the .280 Ackley Improved is an impressive round by all counts, however the .270 Ackley Improved is a round has gotten an undeserved bad rap for many years. My intention is not to bash any cartridge, it's just that the .270AI does not get the recognition it deserves.

FEENIX and 30calyooper like this.
  2. djm670

djm670 Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth!

30calyooper likes this.
  3. redleg1013

redleg1013 Well-Known Member

In keeping with the spirit and parameters of your post, I'd like to share this reprint of an older Ed Harris article.

The venerable 30-06 chambering has slain enough game to be left only to the imagination, utilized by soldiers from World War 1 up to Vietnam.

The handloader is able to craft plinkers, hunting and match target ammunition from a myriad of combinations of projectile and powder combinations. My first 06 was a Savage used rack special, and is, with my loads, capable of .375 MOA groups (which is the extent of my ability these days - still abundantly sufficient for all the aforementioned needs).

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/04/ed-harris-americas-greatest-the-all-around-30-06/

Rick_W likes this.
  4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I'm OK with the .270 AI's status as-is.

Turnbolt53, Alibiiv and SMK1000plus like this.
  5. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

Yes, the '06 is a great cartridge. The OP already has a .308, its twin until the bullets start to get heavy. Kinda like going from a .280 to a .280AI. The OP wants a dangerous game rifle that he can also hunt with at home, and plink with, hence the cast bullet request.

Rick_W, memtb and FEENIX like this.
  6. 30calyooper

30calyooper Well-Known Member

Literally laughing out loud - you nail this one perfectly! The latest greatest round of the 21st century! Well said my friend!

Good that we can laugh at ourselves even when we know we'll take a bite of the next pie they serve!

And true - the data I saw on the 270 Improved was probably pretty old. Run it with new powders and pills, I bet you are correct - it'll do just as well as the 280 AI. Hey, who has more fun than we do?

Alibiiv and Orange Dust like this.
  7. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

All of his cartridges were good. Only recently have the big boys caught on that nearly straight walls and a sharp shoulder helped with both case life and throat erosion. Doesn't hurt ES either. If only he had todays bullets and powders to work with, no tellin what he would have come up with. the 257 was, and still is one of his best.

8. John Klingenberg

John Klingenberg Well-Known Member

That'the truth, I've worked harder since retiring than I ever did.

memtb likes this.
  9. Pmacc60

Pmacc60 Well-Known Member

It’s a great question for thought because none of us.... ever are going to be satisfied with one gun! That all being said I want it to shoot flat , hit hard and not to be to overgunned and not be to undergunned . Using 400 yards as the goal range and able to kill the biggest and most dangerous game in North America . Handloading to have the range and stopping power to cover a plethora of situations I will choose the 30 06 using 165 and 180 grain Nosler partitions. Yes it’s not sexy or ultra bone smashing but will kill anything on the continent and I can shoot it enough to be proficient.

10. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

Pmacc60, Meet the guy that’s “satisfied” with one gun! One hunting rifle that is. While there’s a bunch of rifles and handguns residing with me,I’ve used one rifle exclusively since 1990....one caliber since around 1982. The rifle is light enough for a sheep hunt, shoots flat enough to be easily good to 600 + yards, certainly “not” evergunned (still confused about that term), adequate for everything in NA, and legal for most of the African Big Five.

And, it’s pretty darn lethal with cast bullets, as well! So, I guess that I’m that anomaly....”the one gun hunter”!

Well, there ya go.....you have now, perhaps, have met the most boring, vanilla, hunter/shooter wandering about! ;) memtb

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Mustang72, SMK1000plus and NEMTHunter like this.
  11. NEMTHunter

NEMTHunter Well-Known Member

Well make that two of us. I learned on the 30-06 and I still hunt with the 30-06. About 18 years so far. Its all I need. But I do have wants that are getting scratched!

Mustang72 and SMK1000plus like this.
  12. SMK1000plus

SMK1000plus Well-Known Member

memtb neglected to reiterate the cartridge he is using is a 375 AI!

Very few of us "real men" left in the world today memtb! :cool: :D

memtb likes this.
  13. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

I did fail to mention that little detail! ;) memtb

SMK1000plus likes this.
  14. djm670

djm670 Well-Known Member

Shoot a lot of jack rabbits, gophers and wood chucks with that "One Gun"? Ha ha.. just curious as a .375AI probably turns them to instant mist.. and one would never find any remains. Tough to help pay for school selling jack rabbits to the mink farmers. Hard to believe a guy just uses one gun. Particularly when he has several others in his gun safe.