Magnetospeed sporter?

From my talks with the magneto guys, they would have likely fixed your unit for free. Why didn't you go that route?

I have also heard nightmares of the Labradar failing at tracking especially with smaller calibers and with other shooters.
I still have it and will probably send it in but now I don't really need it, and have had any problems with my lab radar, 22-250 is the smallest caliber I've used and worked fine for me, I don't shoot anything smaller then that right now so I'm happy with it.

I reload for hunting to medium ranges, not super long range and not for competition. I have always used a prochrono chronograph that usually functions decent enough. That being said, it can be a pain to setup, especially with others at the range and sometimes I find the readings to likely be inconsistent due to sunlight conditions, so I have been eyeballing the magnetospeed sporter. (the speed V3 and the labradar are just too expensive for me). From what I read, it's downfall is the fact it is on the barrel so using it while doing accuracy testing is not exactly wise since it can mess with the barrels harmonics. I don't think this will be too much of a problem for me. My intentions will to be using it for checking for pressure signs while testing for max charges. Then using it to check speed and spreds after I find some accuracy nodes. What are your thoughts? What am I losing not going with a magnetospeed V3? Will it function ok with breaks...including radial breaks? Thanks!
I have the Magnetospeed. I wish I would have saved a little more for the Labradar.

I have not read all of the posts, and may have missed a change in topic, but I think your assessment of the Magnetospeed is spot on. I love my sporter, but the downside is you can't shoot for groupings when you have it attached to your barrel. If that isn't a problem for you then it's probably a great option. It's so easy to use and quick to set up. Mine doesn't miss shots and I never get crazy readings. I have a lot of confidence in it.

Last edited:
Another 300 Rum.will tested here shortly .

Rum Man
Rum, 4 scope mounts? Never seen that set up. Is that just because of the recoil of the cartridge? I would have assumed, especially considering you have a muzzle brake, you wouldn't need that many scope rings to keep the scope from sliding around.

I have both a Magnetospeed Sporter, and a Labradar. Both need slight modifications to work for my use cases.

The Sporter needs some angled standoffs for sporter contoured barrels. I had a bayonet strike and a replacement cost $80. I used this on a Henry lever action rifle (Long Ranger), so I did not have anything to attach a pic rail to. Thankfully I did not have a tube magazine to obstruct the mounting straps. With that said, the Magnetospeed worked fine. It is a little finicky, as the bullet's path of travel has to be parallel with the front/rear sensors, and between 1/16" and 1/8" away. On a tapered barrel it gets pretty annoying, as it can move around after a shot if you don't have the hand strength to really tighten that sucker down like it owed you money.

The Labradar requires a tripod, and I also installed a MK Machining sight aperature, and use a Piet recoil trigger. This makes it all rock solid. My 338LM has a MBM 5 port Beast brake on it, but my barrel is 26" and I keep the radar right in front of me on the left side of the rifle, about 12-18" behind the line of the muzzle. No issues with muzzle blast, as you can even place the whole unit 6 feet away as long as you use the recoil trigger and aim the radar correctly. The only problem I have is a very slight overestimate of velocities. Consistently it is 15-25fps higher than the Magnetospeed readings.

I believe the Magnetospeed to be the most accurate for MV. And I believe the Labradar would be most accurate for downrange velocities and to confirm BC in conjunction with drop data.

Those are my .002"

Hope this helps.

I reload for hunting to medium ranges, not super long range and not for competition. I have always used a prochrono chronograph that usually functions decent enough. That being said, it can be a pain to setup, especially with others at the range and sometimes I find the readings to likely be inconsistent due to sunlight conditions, so I have been eyeballing the magnetospeed sporter. (the speed V3 and the labradar are just too expensive for me). From what I read, it's downfall is the fact it is on the barrel so using it while doing accuracy testing is not exactly wise since it can mess with the barrels harmonics. I don't think this will be too much of a problem for me. My intentions will to be using it for checking for pressure signs while testing for max charges. Then using it to check speed and spreds after I find some accuracy nodes. What are your thoughts? What am I losing not going with a magnetospeed V3? Will it function ok with breaks...including radial breaks? Thanks!

I use the Mag Speed on several PRS Rifles of various calibers and never had a problem. Since you only hunt and are not a competitive snooter, I don't see a real concern for harmonics. I never have and have never had a problem. But.... you do need to be careful on your mounting proceedure. Make sure it is VERY TIGHTLY MOUNTED TO YOUR BARREL (they have several mounting options available) and of coure, below the bore line. I have seen a few guys blow them to pieces! Do it righr, take your time, you should have no problems. I have used mine since 2016. It has preformed perfectly. Good luck.

Will it function ok with breaks...including radial breaks?

Direct from the source ...

Magnetospeed and radial brakes e-mail.JPG

I use a Sporter model and it works great. The only time I got an error was with my 450 Bushmaster with a tank style muzzle brake and I can probably adjust the sensitivity to correct that.

I have a Sporter and have had it for the past 3 years or so. It has been used on a dozen or more rifles and hundreds of shots over it. I'll honestly say we have had less issues with it in the past few years than I had in a handful of shooting sessions with the Pro Chrony we had. I can take 5 shots to the range to test and be confident I'll get 5 correct readings. The Pro Chrony would sometimes get all 5 on a good day, but often only register 3-4 of them, sometimes worse. I like not having to rely on perfect lighting and having the sunshields and everything just right. It's nice to just strap the Magnetospeed on tight and not worry about it working or not. I've also have rifles with brakes and so do friends and it has never bothered my Magnetospeed Sporter.

I still have it and will probably send it in but now I don't really need it, and have had any problems with my lab radar, 22-250 is the smallest caliber I've used and worked fine for me, I don't shoot anything smaller then that right now so I'm happy with it.

Looking to sell the sporter? 😁

I used my Sporter on a lightweight 280 Dakota, and I couldn't get the strap tight enough to keep it from moving with every shot from recoil. I'm thinking that I may just duct-tape it to the barrel next time I take it to the range. Has anybody else found a fix for this thing sliding around when the rifle recoils ?

I have been shooting a V3 since they came out. Very good and reliable. Use it on braked rifles up to 338 LM (honestly doesn't like the LM too much, but works). Last year I bought a Lab Radar, and ran them side by side for several months. the Lab showed consistently faster MV, and tended to drop shots from time to time. SO, I developed an off barrel mount that works very well. Will hopefully be selling it soon on this site. I have not looked to see if it will mount to the sorter yet, but will before releasing it for sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.