Magnetospeed

So I did find a couple different ARCA adapters that would clamp onto my pic rail and then allow me to use the Wiser ARCA clamp, but the RSS adapter is $80 plus the Wiser ARCA clamp is another $35 and at that point i'm well over the price of the MK Machine mount that works on both picatinny AND ARCA rails out of the box ... plus it's machined aluminum and anodized. So I'll be contacting Wiser to see about a return and then I'm going to order the MKM mount. If your pic rail has the needed 4 slots for the regular Wiser mount to work then I think it's a great option at a better price than the MKM ... I'm just a special one-off case in that my rail is too short and since it's discontinued I don't have the ability to get a bigger rail.

Waiting to hear back from Wiser about the return, but if anyone is interested I'd sell it at cost and i'll pay to ship it to you.

I have the Magnetospeed V3 and the Wiser Precision Mount. I use it on four different AR style firearms that are three different calibers (223/5.56, 6.5 and .30) and three different barrel lengths (16, 18, and 20 inch). By positioning the picatiny rail in different positions on the hand-guard I don't have to adjust the lateral position of the bayonet on the tube. I also don't have to adjust the elevation and the Magnetospeed is able to pick-up all three calibers (kinda like set it and forget it).

I have had some issues that I have since corrected. The thumb screw on the bayonet elevation adjustment worked loose and I had to OVER tighten it. The other problem was the socket head screws that secure the quick connect would loosen from recoil, a little blue locktite has cured this problem.

I am totally pleased with this combination and since the adjustments it has not missed recording a shot. It is now easy to switch between firearms and it works in bright sun, clouds, rain, snow and darkness.

I have both and fortunately the lab hasn't had any issues other than it won't trigger with the can. Solved with a trigger. If you get the wiser mount they are decent. The down fall to the sporter is the bayonet isn't designed for big brakes or cans so I modified mine. Still worth the effort. A dollar store cutting board, some creativity, and you're in business.

I have both as well. I don't think I have used my Magneto Speed since I bought the LabRadar. What I love about the LabRadar is it is handy enough to bring out to the field for my LR practice sessions, so I can record not only my mirage, local measured wind speed, wind call, etc but also my MV. Only complaint about LR is it doesn't always pick up my .220 Swift but then I have not shot that much - will do so next week.

I don't use a tripod when shooting prone; I just use the carry bad with the base attached via the Velcro straps.

Last edited:
I have witnessed both POI and group size change on a variety of rifles with my "sporter". Group sizes on all tend to be smaller. This could be barrel harmonics for sure, but noticed on both sporting weight barrels and heavier barrels. POI always opposite the bayonet in any clocked position. Some have attributed this to Lenz's law which I tend to agree with. The electro-magnetic phenomena may also contribute to the tighter groups.
Just hunches on why but results are obvious.
For those the stock mounted mount do these annomolies still exist?
No problems with point of impact changes when mounted with the wiser Percision to an atlas rail on the fore end it is not touching the barrel so it can't affect harmonics at all

I guess the point of impact change doesn't bother me to much. I have not noticed a change in grouping so I just aim in the same spot and look at the group. Record speed once I am dialed in with the load I want and have good info on my speed I pull the ms off the barrel and do a final zero. I can see the advantage of these mounts just don't find them necessary enough to run buy one although I may get one down the road we will see.

Ah. I've always been somewhat meticulous in setting up my chrono. Measure twice, cut once kind of thinking. But I've NEVER let anyone else shoot over my chrono because I just don't trust them to be as careful. Now hopefully I haven't jinxed myself by chiming in on this thread...

Has anyone shortened the rod?? Seems longer than it needs to be

It is carbon fiber and weights almost nothing. I absolutely need the length when shooting a 25" barrel plus suppressor.

When shooting with short barrels without suppressor it has never bothered me—just slide the excess length rearward and out of the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.