Magnetospeed

1588036193991.png

I just got the wiser mount and shot it this weekend for the first time and have one pretty major complaint ... the mount.

If connecting to a pic rail you need 4 slots because it's a dual clamp system. My pic rail only has 3 slots so I can only mount it to my rifle using one of the 2 clamps and it is just not secure enough to hold it where it needs to be. I have to check the alignment after every shot to make sure it hasn't moved and typically have to readjust it every 2nd to third shot. The 2 clamps are also a QD type clamp but are super cheap and don't clamp down super tight ... which I imagine is why it is designed with two rather than one. For this type of application I would much rather have a screw down connection so I know I can lock it down super tight to where it can't move. I just put a magpul bipod in a friends rifle via pic rail and it uses 3 slots with dual screwed down connections and the thing is rock solid on there.

The mount as a whole however is fantastic and works well once you get used to how it works. I'm just going to have to try and figure out a better way to secure it to my rifle(s).

I just got the wiser mount and shot it this weekend for the first time and have one pretty major complaint ... the mount.

If connecting to a pic rail you need 4 slots because it's a dual clamp system. My pic rail only has 3 slots so I can only mount it to my rifle using one of the 2 clamps and it is just not secure enough to hold it where it needs to be. I have to check the alignment after every shot to make sure it hasn't moved and typically have to readjust it every 2nd to third shot. The 2 clamps are also a QD type clamp but are super cheap and don't clamp down super tight ... which I imagine is why it is designed with two rather than one. For this type of application I would much rather have a screw down connection so I know I can lock it down super tight to where it can't move. I just put a magpul bipod in a friends rifle via pic rail and it uses 3 slots with dual screwed down connections and the thing is rock solid on there.

The mount as a whole however is fantastic and works well once you get used to how it works. I'm just going to have to try and figure out a better way to secure it to my rifle(s).
So can you buy a mount with 4 slots? I want to get the set up, but don't want to have issues. Do you have any pics of your set up?

So can you buy a mount with 4 slots? I want to get the set up, but don't want to have issues. Do you have any pics of your set up?
I'll try and get a couple pictures today, but the two rifles I was trying to use it on are an AR-15 and an AR-10, both of which have a Midwest Industries handguard on them with their proprietary rail system ... which they have since discontinued so they're no longer making parts for them. All the rail sections I had bought for them only have the 3 slots so I don't have any option to get bigger sections, I even called them and asked. So my options at this point are to put new handguards on those rifles, or try to find some kind of Pic to ARCA adaptor and then I could get the wiser ARCA adaptor. If you have 4 slots on your rail I don't think you'd have anything to worry about, I used it on a buddies rifle and with both clamps on there the whole system locks down tight and worked well.

I've had an MS for quite a few years now. Have used it on barrels from sporter weight to truck axle thick. None have shown a POI shift with MS attached directly to barrel. Just my experience.

It didn't change the POI on a couple of mine either. But when I put it on my feather weight Winchester model 70 06, moved it a lot..... anyway hope the mount works.... thx for responding

how does the Wiser mount correct for taper of the forearm of the stock? does the Magnetospeed sensor remain parallel to the bore on hunting rifle stocks?
Actually the newest version of the Wiser mount has adjustments to account for forearm taper. I got mine 2 weeks ago, and it's a lot of kit for $100.

Attachments

• Wiser mount angle adjustment.jpg
    Wiser mount angle adjustment.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 143
Trebark,
You are lucky then as my MS on my 300wsm's skinny little sporter barrel has a significant affect on poi and group sizes.

On my other rifles with a suppressor it has little affect on poi and no accuracy degradation since it's mounted to the supressor.

I do ladder tests with the MS then recheck velocity on occassion but leave it off for testing the flat spot nodes from my ladders.

I have a wiser mount. Modified the **** out of it for use with suppressor and sporter bayonet. The design is lacking but the idea is right for sure. I hate having the unit attached to the barrel so this is really the best option. I have arca rails on my rifle and picatinny so I attach the rifle to my tripod and go to work. Or I use the labradar, my preference.
C2E8E320-FD1D-4C7D-A16A-FE5455C903BC.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.