Magnetospeed sporter?

Bigeclipse

I reload for hunting to medium ranges, not super long range and not for competition. I have always used a prochrono chronograph that usually functions decent enough. That being said, it can be a pain to setup, especially with others at the range and sometimes I find the readings to likely be inconsistent due to sunlight conditions, so I have been eyeballing the magnetospeed sporter. (the speed V3 and the labradar are just too expensive for me). From what I read, it's downfall is the fact it is on the barrel so using it while doing accuracy testing is not exactly wise since it can mess with the barrels harmonics. I don't think this will be too much of a problem for me. My intentions will to be using it for checking for pressure signs while testing for max charges. Then using it to check speed and spreds after I find some accuracy nodes. What are your thoughts? What am I losing not going with a magnetospeed V3? Will it function ok with breaks...including radial breaks? Thanks!

I reload for hunting to medium ranges, not super long range and not for competition. I have always used a prochrono chronograph that usually functions decent enough. That being said, it can be a pain to setup, especially with others at the range and sometimes I find the readings to likely be inconsistent due to sunlight conditions, so I have been eyeballing the magnetospeed sporter. (the speed V3 and the labradar are just too expensive for me). From what I read, it's downfall is the fact it is on the barrel so using it while doing accuracy testing is not exactly wise since it can mess with the barrels harmonics. I don't think this will be too much of a problem for me. My intentions will to be using it for checking for pressure signs while testing for max charges. Then using it to check speed and spreds after I find some accuracy nodes. What are your thoughts? What am I losing not going with a magnetospeed V3? Will it function ok with breaks...including radial breaks? Thanks!

The Magnetospeed and LabRadar are not perfect but both have a respective following. "I" looked at the Magnetospeed first but I did not like exactly what you noted. Yes, the LabRadar is very pricey but it is what "I" think it will serve me better, so I saved up for it and got one last year. I know its downfalls but hope to learn the ins and outs of it this year. I do not think Magnetospeed is designed for radial brakes, but I could be wrong.

I also used and still have the Chrony. Same lighting limitations and set up pains. Got a magneto speed and like it just fine. I use mine same as you describe. Only limitation is you can't shoot good groups with the attachment on the barrel as you noted. They work well for Vel. Es and sd. I have both lateral and radial brakes. Both work fine
Just follow the directions for installation. If you mess up you will get an Err message and can adjust the location of your muzzle.

I also used and still have the Chrony. Same lighting limitations and set up pains. Got a magneto speed and like it just fine. I use mine same as you describe. Only limitation is you can't shoot good groups with the attachment on the barrel as you noted. They work well for Vel. Es and sd. I have both lateral and radial brakes. Both work fine
Just follow the directions for installation. If you mess up you will get an Err message and can adjust the location of your muzzle.

I stand corrected.

The Magnetospeed (sporter) I use does NOT care for braked rifles. It's given me the 'ERR' code quite a bit with braked rifles. I may need to tinker with it a bit more, however, like GLTaylor suggested....

The direct muzzle blast from the radial brake cannot be good for the bayonet/sensor but if others are having success with it, that's all it matters. The LabRadar also have challenges with MBs.

Works just fine for me !
Just tested it on a 375 Rum with aT-4 Terminator and 329 gr. Hammers ! No trouble on a Radial or Side port brake so far .
20190808_175615.jpg

Another 300 Rum.will tested here shortly .

Rum Man

This set up at the range is one of the main reasons I looked at the magneto speed in the first place. At our range we are not allowed any where near the front of any muzzle and to set up a chronograph we would have to stop dozens of people from shooting and make the line safe.

The other thing that attracted me to the Magneto speed was the lack of daylight needed to work. It will even work In near darkness if you are not finished testing. Other than the cost, I think the lab Radar would function the same and be usable under our range rules, so other than cost, they should do the same job.

As to the effect of having something attached to the barrel, I don't test the zero with anything attached to any barrel even tho I have not seen/noticed this in my testing, mainly because when working up loads, I am more interested in the SD's and ES's and velocities. once I find good numbers and am satisfied, I remove the MS and zero the rifle and finish the testing for accuracy at the different distances. This way I can rule out poor loads early and save load components to get the accuracy.

As to the brake issue, I have tested many rifles with different designs for effects on The Magneto Speed and found no difference in performance. the only down side that I have noticed is dripping the bore solvent on the bayonet while cleaning and a rage draped over it will solve this.

I also like the advantage of not having to move the Screens to shoot different targets.

It is a good tool and like everything it has its shortcomings, but not many.

J E CUSTOM

I had a magneto speed and then got a Labradar and now use a friend's magneto speed. I didn't like the setup on the Labradar and if it wasn't properly placed it wouldn't pickup the shot. Strap on a magneto speed with any break or silencer and get velocity every time. Like mentioned above don't use it when trying to shoot groups.

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_075033917.jpg
    IMG_20191123_075033917.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
I had a magneto speed and then got a Labradar and now use a friend's magneto speed. I didn't like the setup on the Labradar and if it wasn't properly placed it wouldn't pickup the shot. Strap on a magneto speed with any break or silencer and get velocity every time. Like mentioned above don't use it when trying to shoot groups.

Not sure if you've seen it but check out #s 14, 42, and 56 of https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/magneto-or-labrador.239839/

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.