LabRadar vs. Magnetospeed

Guys, I cannot find it at the moment, but there was a fella on here who made a bracket that attached to his rail on his AR hand guard and free floated the magneto speed out to the proper position without touching the barrel. I wish I could find it now, but someone will help me out.

I use my MS at the beginning and at the end of my load development. I strap it on during my 'pressure testing'. I load one bullet going up in half grain increments for std., non-magnum calibers or full grain increments for large magnum calibers. I note the speed of each bullet for the charge used. I stop shooting when I find the pressure/velocity curve beginning to flatten out (normally happens right before your pressure spike). Signs of excessive pressure (cratered/flattened primer, sticky bolt, etc.) can be harder to spot in a custom rifle. But if you are monitoring the speed of each load, you will see where the increased charge no longer gives you the incremental jump in velocity you were seeing before. That helps establish the upper end for my ladder test.

Once I have my maximum safe load established, the MS comes off. I shoot my ladder, establish my nodes, then shoot groups with slightly varying powder charges from the lower to higher end of the node. Paper doesn't lie.

After my load has been selected, I then fine tune it using different seating depths and possibly different primers. I then strap the MS back on to the barrel to find out what my average velocity is for use in my ballistic calculations. It also helps confirm a low ES and SD. The velocity is what it is, and I don't want to possibly skew my results subconsciously by tracking my velocity as I develop a load.

To each his own. The MS has been great for me.

I use my MS at the beginning and at the end of my load development. I strap it on during my 'pressure testing'. I load one bullet going up in half grain increments for std., non-magnum calibers or full grain increments for large magnum calibers. I note the speed of each bullet for the charge used. I stop shooting when I find the pressure/velocity curve beginning to flatten out (normally happens right before your pressure spike). Signs of excessive pressure (cratered/flattened primer, sticky bolt, etc.) can be harder to spot in a custom rifle. But if you are monitoring the speed of each load, you will see where the increased charge no longer gives you the incremental jump in velocity you were seeing before. That helps establish the upper end for my ladder test.

Once I have my maximum safe load established, the MS comes off. I shoot my ladder, establish my nodes, then shoot groups with slightly varying powder charges from the lower to higher end of the node. Paper doesn't lie.

After my load has been selected, I then fine tune it using different seating depths and possibly different primers. I then strap the MS back on to the barrel to find out what my average velocity is for use in my ballistic calculations. It also helps confirm a low ES and SD. The velocity is what it is, and I don't want to possibly skew my results subconsciously by tracking my velocity as I develop a load.

To each his own. The MS has been great for me.

This is exactly the method I use with my magnetospeed. The overall process from start to finish keeps the round count pretty darn low.

Ditto here, find my pressure range fast then remove magneto for seating depth, powder charge the a fine seating depth tune. Magneto then goes on for ballistic calibration. Don't find a need for chrono numbers during tuning cause I do it at long range so ES is apart of it, if I was stuck doing load development all inside 300 yards then I'd be running a chronoghraph the whole time.

This is an older thread but I thought it worth updating. I tested today 10 rounds: five with the magnetspeed attached and five without. It affected POI as well as group size. It was a .22 Creedmoor with a suppressor on a #4 barrel. 77 grain TMK's at 3593 fps. There's an obvious flyer in each group.

The difference could be the shooter but I'd shot a bit before this test and noticed it so the test bears out what I felt was going on.

Attachments

• 45.5mrp.jpg
    45.5mrp.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 93
  • 45.5ms.jpg
    45.5ms.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 118
You guys aren't using big enough rigs. The Magneto V3 makes no difference on my Big Girl. :)
I don't know how big your big girl is but with my V3 my 270 and 300 WM notice a POI change. Accuracy stays the same. I have friends ( 1 or 2 :) ) that have different size rifles and each and every one has a POI change. If you believe in barrel harmonics it has to change doesn't it ?

POI has changed on all of the guns we've attached the magnetospeed to. Accuracy does not change only point of impact.

I don't know how big your big girl is but with my V3 my 270 and 300 WM notice a POI change. Accuracy stays the same. I have friends ( 1 or 2 :) ) that have different size rifles and each and every one has a POI change. If you believe in barrel harmonics it has to change doesn't it ?

Shoot my pro chrono 1 year of use gun) Always see plenty of used magnetospeed sporters and v3 for sale. If its so great why does everyone end up selling them? Then the price difference is it really worth the hype

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.