Magnetospeed Sporter vs V3

BoomFlop

I've been reading for a long time on the difference between the 2 units and read the comparison on their website. However, I see conflicting information.

I am a new Reloader, and would like to use it for finding velocity nodes as well as safe pressure. In addition to confirm my reloading process and building a drop chart. I would also like to be able to use it for 22lr (website says no on sporter, but seen people on here say yes).

So, do I spend the $200 difference for my purpose and limited use, or just get the sporter? I am a quality guy, but at the same time, don't want to spend 2x the money to use the same functions.

Thanks all,
Steve

n short – if it's down to the Magnetospeed V3 vs Sportster, if you just want to use the chrono on anything other than a 'standard' non-suppressed barrel – you will have to pony up for the V3. This would include Airguns, Shotguns and Muzzleloaders.

The main limiting issue for the sportster is the use of muzzle devices, muzzle breaks,compensators, flash suppressors, suppressors.
The sporster is limited to 2.5" length of muzzle device, and many are 3" and longer. All of my muzzle devices are at least 3".

No idea on 22lr capability for either. I don't know why anyone would reload 22lr. Seems like wallpapering to me. Tedious.

I'd buy up to the v3 and then you are covered for future use that might change since you are just getting into reloading. When in doubt, buy up.

Last edited:
I just bought the v3, only reason i got it was because almost everything i have is suppressed. I tried it for the 1st time today and it worked great, no missed readings like with those other junkers...Maybe someone can chime in who has used the sporter for 22lr, but it sounds like with your muzzle devices and want for 22lr might just be better off getting the v3.

I shoot almost 100% suppressed so the Sporter wasn't even on my radar when I was looking at chronographs. The Sporter is not supposed to work with non-centerfire rounds specifaclly. Not sure if that means non-metallic jacketed (meaning won't work with cast lead from a centerfire also, that's how I read the additional capability on the V3 of shotguns and airguns) or if it's a projectile size issue, or what. I too have seen where people change settings on the Sporter to catch 22LRs, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to change back to work on another rifle when you're done with the 22. Just thinking about the hassle of changing settings would push me to the V3. The SD card on the V3 is a good option, manually entering data into excel or something similar is tedious, and the display is much more informative itself than the Sporter.

ms-v3-vs-sporter.jpg

Just buy the V3. You will most likely regret buying the sporter since you are already questioning which one to purchase. I've done this many times in the past lol!

Ok, maybe I'm the exception rather than the rule but here goes my own experience. I use the sporter on 5 hunting rifles. 3 with muzzle brakes and 2 without and it has performed flawlessly for showing me velocity nodes, ES, and SD. The rifles I run suppressed all shoot ammo that I buy in bulk and don't handload so I have no need to chrono them. I ceratainly see the need for the V3 for those who do, but for my personal needs the sporter has been a blessing. Do I wish I had bought the V3 instead? Not really. Point is everyone's needs are particular to them. If you think you want to measure suppressed then buy the V3 and know that you can. Go with what best suits YOUR needs.

I bought the V3 because I run a supressor on almost every rifle I own. 1.5 years later and I bought a Labradar because it's a step above Magneto in convenience when switching between multiple rifles and you can shoot for groups and chrono at the same time

The Magneto is a solid product, though.

Keep in mind that if you wind up with the need for something like the Wiser Precision mount to keep the bayo off the barrel (great for not affecting POI or groups) then you can use the Sporter even on suppressed hosts or long muzzle brakes.

I bought the V3 because I run a supressor on almost every rifle I own. 1.5 years later and I bought a Labradar because it's a step above Magneto in convenience when switching between multiple rifles and you can shoot for groups and chrono at the same time

The Magneto is a solid product, though.
@BoomFlop Yep! By the time you get all the add ons to mitigate barrel harmonics, you'd be better off with the LR. You can shoot multiple firearms with one set-up. I initially considered MS but went with LR instead.

Ed

Long time user of the V3. works great for my purposes:
load development for .223-338LM rifles, also pistols.
check velocity and consistency on different 22LR ammunition.
FYI, ran it concurrently with my Lab Radar for 8 months. Found the LR to read 4fps faster on average. V3 dropped far fewer shots. Finally bought the remote trigger, now they are about the same on dropping shots (almost never).
I produced an "off barrel" with QD mount, so set up takes a few seconds.

I've been reading for a long time on the difference between the 2 units and read the comparison on their website. However, I see conflicting information.

I am a new Reloader, and would like to use it for finding velocity nodes as well as safe pressure. In addition to confirm my reloading process and building a drop chart. I would also like to be able to use it for 22lr (website says no on sporter, but seen people on here say yes).

So, do I spend the $200 difference for my purpose and limited use, or just get the sporter? I am a quality guy, but at the same time, don't want to spend 2x the money to use the same functions.

Thanks all,
St

Thanks all,
Steve
I went for the cheaper sportster unit and it did everything I wanted it to do. It just didn't do it for as long as I wanted it to. Lasted 2 years and just died one day. I stepped up and bought the v3 which has been going strong for over 3 years now.

Recent Posts