Magnetospeed sporter?

I use a Magnetospeed V3 after a fellow shooter at my range put in on my 338 LM. Worked fine on it for the 1 string we did. My V3 works fine on my 6.5 CM, 224 Valkyrie, and the LM. I do "preset up the bayonet at home getting the fit right. Saves time and since I don't actually get in front of the weapon mounting it on the weapon takes a bit of "bending (not great for a bad back) but the preset up helps IMO. I do get the occasional "dropped shot" when things loosen up, I'm looking at alternative ways to clamp it in place. It does change POI but since I'm only interested in the statistics, it's not an issue.

I use mine exactly as you are proposing and it is super simple and works great except will not be good for your group size spreads. It measures velocity and does the statistics and that's all it does, period. Groups shoot to different POI and group size increases with it on. A lotta different shims and trial and error putting it on any barrel. Biggest problem to me is that it is a pain setting up on different rifles during the the same session. I have the V3. All that said I really like it and love the simplicity.

I use mine exactly as you are proposing and it is super simple and works great except will not be good for your group size spreads. It measures velocity and does the statistics and that's all it does, period. Groups shoot to different POI and group size increases with it on. A lotta different shims and trial and error putting it on any barrel. Biggest problem to me is that it is a pain setting up on different rifles during the the same session. I have the V3. All that said I really like it and love the simplicity.
Are you going to buy the megnetospeed mount which allows you to mount it not on the barrel? It will be my next purchase. At 100$ it sounds like a no brainer to me.

I own a Magneto Speed and a Labrador and since I purchased a Wiser Precision, prefer the Magneto Speed. Caldwell makes a picatinny rail that attaches easily to your swivel post on your fore forestock. This makes it easy to put on and take off in a couple of minutes or you can leave it on and still attach your sling. Also makes it easy to use picatinny style bipods.

I shoot hunting rifles 95% of the time, not the contraption rifle shown at the site, plus I really don't need velocity for my 600 yd competition rifles cause they only shoot one distance. This LRH forum is great cause I was not aware of the Wise device. I just looked at the Wise sight and I don't have it completely figured out yet. I also looked at the Harris rail attachment complements of FEENIX and that really looks nice and another poster said you can attach the Wise device to it. I gotta look at the Wise videos to figure this thing out. Could be really good end end the lingering thought in my mind about getting the Labradar gizmo.

I shoot hunting rifles 95% of the time, not the contraption rifle shown at the site, plus I really don't need velocity for my 600 yd competition rifles cause they only shoot one distance. This LRH forum is great cause I was not aware of the Wise device. I just looked at the Wise sight and I don't have it completely figured out yet. I also looked at the Harris rail attachment complements of FEENIX and that really looks nice and another poster said you can attach the Wise device to it. I gotta look at the Wise videos to figure this thing out. Could be really good end end the lingering thought in my mind about getting the Labradar gizmo.
I just purchased it. Check out the Caldwell picatinny mount. It will screw right into The front swivel stud of a hunting rifle and then you attach the wiser device there. Now you have the best of both worlds in my opinion, accurate speed readings and shoot for groups.

I bought the spotter and it worked well for about a year then it stopped working, so I ended up buying a lab radar, wish I would have put the funds toward the lab radar in the first place.

Was there much of a learning curve with the Lab Radar? Is it user friendly? Do you have to relearn how to use it unless U use it all the time?

I bought the spotter and it worked well for about a year then it stopped working, so I ended up buying a lab radar, wish I would have put the funds toward the lab radar in the first place.
From my talks with the magneto guys, they would have likely fixed your unit for free. Why didn't you go that route?

I have also heard nightmares of the Labradar failing at tracking especially with smaller calibers and with other shooters shooting nearby.

Last edited:
Really like my sporter, for the same reasons you want one. I use it for a ladder load workup to max and then load up 4 or 5 rounds to try at the speeds that look promising. I've shot some amazing groups with it on, but it seems to open up groups that are not in the node, which makes sense if you think about it. I also had an issue with mine this spring and they fixed it free of charge, even outside the warranty period! So buy away with a good company.

That's interesting. I may have to shoot a ladder with it on. Theoretically, if you are at a node it sounds right that it might not open the group. Did it change POI at a node?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.