I'm way new at this and Mistakes are not cheap .help

I'm up in the air of what to shot threw his gun . I'm looking at these two. 210 Berger , or the 208 Hornady I really wanted to stay above 200 grains ,I rather hit something with the brick then a ping-pong ball but I'm open to suggestions.

Other options to look at would be the 200 Accubond, the 210 Long Range Accubond, or the 215 or 230 Berger Hybrids. The 230's really shine with the 300 RUM and there are quite a few people on here using them with some very good results.

Well I ordered the base and rings you guys mentioned ,last night so that's done that was only 150 bucks that was cheap enough. I'm looking to order the Harris bipod 6 to 9 inches that sound right?

i do not use a bi-pod or a spotting scope. i do have a good swarovski range finder. works every time

I'm up in the air of what to shot threw his gun . I'm looking at these two. 210 Berger , or the 208 Hornady I really wanted to stay above 200 grains ,I rather hit something with the brick then a ping-pong ball but I'm open to suggestions.

starting with a 155 scenar and go up, there are bunch that are good. the heavier longer ones will drift less in the wind like the 210 berger. the lighter faster ones like the 155 scenar and 180 accubond are flatter out to 500 or 600 yards. getting an accurate load is most important. just ask the guys shooting a 6.5 creedmore or 6.5-47

Gotta correct something I said earlier. Don't want bad info out there. I said:

"A chrono that is misaligned by 5 degrees in both pitch and yaw will read a 3,000 fps bullet as ~ 2,900 fps so the auto alignment is a big deal."

That is wrong. It takes 10 degrees misalignment in both pitch and yaw to be off this much. I ran the calculations quite a while ago and misremembered them. I'll blame it on old age.

Well I ordered the base and rings you guys mentioned ,last night so that's done that was only 150 bucks that was cheap enough. I'm looking to order the Harris bipod 6 to 9 inches that sound right?
For bench shooting that's just right. For field shooting it's generally not going to be enough.

Depends on where you live.
Back home the 6-9 is perfect for field use,
But where I am now even the 9-25 wouldn't work.
You're the only one that can determine if it will work

Hi Maina. The 300rum is a great round. I shoot the Lazzeroni Warbird which is very similar in performance to the 300rum. One thing I haven't heard mentioned is what grain bullet your barrel will stabilize. Rate of twist among other factors will determine that. Mine gun loves 150 grain ttsx. It also shoots 168's very well. Every time I try to go 180 and above my groups suffer. Only thing I can figure is my twist rate, velocity, barrel length, and bullet length are not happy. I push 180's at 3575 but can't keep my 300 yard groups under 2-3 inches. Not to mention recoil is almost unbearable with heavier rounds. A lot of people subscribe to the idea that heavier bullets kill animals better. I prefer energy, bullet design, and precise shot placement and to date my 150-168 grain pills going 3700+ have never let me down. Another benefit is how flat shooting it is. A 300 yard zero gives me -7 at 400 and -17 at 500.
At $140 a box reloading is a must for me and will save you money in the long run. Plus it will be a lot of fun for you and your son to master reloading together as well as shooting.
I guess my point is not all guns will shoot heavy bullets well and at the velocity your 300rum will push 168 will take down anything short of an elephant so don't discount some of the lighter bullets in your testing.

Heres a couple thing to consider, IMO the 300 Ultra is not a good LR starter round. The 300 RUM is a monster and your learning will burn it up or get a flinch going in larger shot strings. I'd keep it and use it once you get the reloading figured out. You have a good scope, for the spotter/tripod I'd look second hand. Personally a magnetospeed and G7 rangfinder would be what I'd be saving for. On the break, stay away from bottom/cylindrical discarge breaks (Vias) they will sand blast the crap outa you and your expensive gear when prone. Pick yourself up a 6.5 creedmoor in a savage for the learning/fun shooting part. If you go to sell it later you will still get your $$ out of it, or you can re-barrel it later to suit your needs.
And mostly continue to practice/use/learn the fundamentals of long range shooting, without those you will sling alot of lead w/o a ton of feedback/hits
Have fun!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

OK, I can not agree with" 300 RUM is a monster" or "recoil is almost unbearable". We are starting old wives tails. I heard these things all my life and that is why I never owned one until a year ago. Maybe this was true in the past but not any more. Get a good muzzle brake like J E Customs or Defensive Edge and they turn the "monster" into a ***** cat. I shoot 230 Bergers in mine at 3005 and the recoil is very mild. My daughter loves to shoot it because it will shoot flies at 100 and is very accurate at 1000.

OK, I can not agree with" 300 RUM is a monster" or "recoil is almost unbearable". We are starting old wives tails. I heard these things all my life and that is why I never owned one until a year ago. Maybe this was true in the past but not any more. Get a good muzzle brake like J E Customs or Defensive Edge and they turn the "monster" into a ***** cat. I shoot 230 Bergers in mine at 3005 and the recoil is very mild. My daughter loves to shoot it because it will shoot flies at 100 and is very accurate at 1000.

Thanks . My 13 year old son will shot it with me . He was shooting a 20 gauge at 6 he gets deer every year and loves to shoot . He has a 308 bushmaster with a 3-9 Leopold 50 mm . I only shot one gun that kicked my *** . A youth model 12 gauge single shot with a full choke and pushed a 3 inch mag slug threw it .it was nasty . The break will be side ported on the ultra . This is a farther son build and gun . Just me and him time . lol this is not a poor mans game I will say this . It will be the only gun if it's kind in are town lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.