I'm way new at this and Mistakes are not cheap .help

Good place to start. I would also highly encourage you to get the Hornady Reloading manuals.

When I first started reloading for myself the Hornady books were utterly invaluable. They really did a fantastic job of explaining the very basic elements involved. I'd been shooting long range forever but that reading broadened my understanding of ballistics tremendously and they gave a really great intro to reloading right along with it.

Glad I just got a cabelas card lol . Not a low cost hobby .
I like Cabelas and shop there often, But they are one of the more expensive places to get reloading stuff, You can easily do better most of the time.
But then again in todays market we get what we can get.

I was going to pick up the Leica laser rangefinder with it :)
The cost is pretty daunting when you start out for sure but only if you try to get the whole feedlot from the start instead of taking one bite at a time. Once you get the basics put together it really starts to hurt a whole lot less and over time your gear pays for itself in saved time, aggravation, burnt up barrels and wasted ammo because having the right tools really helps you get there a whole lot quicker.

This thread needs a good bump.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...etting-started-but-intimidated-dollars-80244/

Lots of great ideas from lots of members there to help people get started.

The .300RUM is a great LR hunting cartridge. Mine has taken 3 elk, and one mule deer. And rang steel out to 1350 yards consistently.

I have had one since they first came out back in 1999, and have been reloading as soon as dies were introduced, way before there was any load data available. I just weighed the water capacity, and started light, working my way up.

I have had a few different loads over the past 16 years, and I am still on my first factory barrel, a 26" 1 in 10" twist with a KDF muzzle brake. I don't think the statements of, "If you install a muzzle brake, it will kick like a .243" are quite accurate, but they help tremendously. My 12 year old daughter used mine last November to take a great AZ bull elk.

Here are a few of my more accurate load recipes, but you need to start light and work your way up.

Rem brass
Rem 9 1/2 Mag primer
Barnes 175 LRX
88 gr. RL22
3.844 COAL (does not fit in the mag, so it is a single load round)
3361fps
.417" @ 100 yards, 3" @ 500 yards

This is the round my 12 year old daughter took her bull elk with last year. Elk never even twitched. Instantly DRT.
Rem brass
Rem 9 1/2 Mag primer
175 Sierra Match King
88.2gr. RL22
3.710 COAL (Does not fit in the mag, so it is a single load round)
3298fps
.344" @ 100 yards, 8" @ 1350 yards
http://s642.photobucket.com/user/la.../IMG_20130529_193552_937_zps1f5c4108.jpg.html
My favorite hunting photo so far.

Rem brass
Rem 9 1/2 Mag primer
86gr. RL22
210 Berger HVLD
3.860 COAL (again, single shot round)
3030fps
.388" @ 100 yards, 6.1" @ 1000 yards

Rem Brass
Rem 9 1/2 Mag primer
86gr. RL22
215 Berger Hybrid
3.870" COAL (single shot round)
3010fps
.285" @ 100 yards, 2.10" @ 500 yards, 5.8" @ 1000 yards

Well it's been nuts getting all this stuff togeather to shoot and hunt longe range.
Finding all the reloading stuff . Dear good !
I went with the berger 230 tactical
The three-piece competition die set
The rock chucker supreme reloading kit
All the other reloading tools
Powder h1000
Federal primers 2,000
100 brass
Lieca 1600 b
Gun back from gunsmith today
Muzzle break
Scope set
Trigger set 2 lb
I'm in it at around $4300-$4500 as of now
I need to make some steel targets from AR plate .
Thanks to all the guys on the forum for the help ! And I have a spot to shot out to 4 miles lol but I only need the first 1000 lol

You may find that the money you've invested will be infinitesimal when compared to the investment you've made in the bond between you and your son. Makes me feel good seeing what you're doing here. Keep it up; you can't be wrong!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.