If you could only have 3 long guns, which would you choose?

Maybe I should pair down my collection. Truthfully, I have my favorites and the others could be framed and hung on a wall. Some are invaluable but for sentimental reasons. I'm not asking for those to be included in the list. But let's say, purely for whimsical gab, that you could only have 3 calibers, any calibers, which would you choose?
.22 a 308-7.62 and a 12 gauge browning auto 5

I love my 6.5 cm, 300 wm, and 416 Rigby. However, if I had to choose 3, I would have to say:

An accurate AR in 223- Shoot small game in the head and cheap ammo in case sh** hits the fan. (I don't much like them, but they have a purpose.)

12 gauge (or 20 gauge)- All that flies and other previously mentioned small game for food. (Not into shotguns much, but hey, you gotta eat.)

375 H&H (or Ruger)- Good for anything from deer to even elephant (in a pinch) with proper bullet selection.

*If it was allowed, I would definitely close the gaps with my 300 wm and a 22 lr.

Last edited:
3 rifle calibers? YIKES! not my groove but I will take a shot at it. 270 would be in there. The Win and the WSM are entirely different purposes. I do not know if I could have just one or the other. I love my 375 H&H for pigs and big game. deer, well that is a really tough one.. several places I like to hunt I need a shotgun or a straight wall case to hunt with.. so my 444 Marlin and my 45-70 fit that bill. I love wild rabbit so a 17 Remington, or a 22LR or a 223 or a 22-250 would need to be had. if this is restricted to just hunting and not my other passion of long range target shooting then my 300 win mag, 7.62 X 51 NATO, and my 338 lapua are safe. my defensive AR's are safe. that being said.. the early 1894's I have are pretty much my brush guns. I love the older calibers (25-35, 32-40, 32 Win Special, 30-30).
I like hunting a wide variety of game. too many to have just three calibers, 3 cartridges.
I gave it my best.. but I can not come up with just three calibers and three cases to be restricted to.. it looks like I failed this one..
Later Tatters.

I'm like several others here. I'd not want to pare down to three rifles, but if I did, it would probably be the 25-06, the 30-06 and the 35 Whelen. I can make brass for both of the other calibers from the 30-06 and I would have a pretty good battery of rifles with the three calibers, allowing hunting from varmints up to the biggest things in the Western hemisphere.

Maybe I should pair down my collection. Truthfully, I have my favorites and the others could be framed and hung on a wall. Some are invaluable but for sentimental reasons. I'm not asking for those to be included in the list. But let's say, purely for whimsical gab, that you could only have 3 calibers, any calibers, which would you choose?
.338 lapua, .300 Weatherby mag, 6.5 creedmore

I would pare down to my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H, my Tactical Solution X-Ring 10/22 Clone, and my Benelli M1 Super 90 in 12 gauge. That should cover all of my hunting and target needs. I can't imagine ever only having 3 long guns though!

.243, .308, 7mm Mag covers 95% of my shooting needs (.375 H&H for the remaining 5%). I figured you meant rifles but a must have gun is of course 12 GA semi auto. If it's just 3 including shotgun then drop the .308 for the 12 GA.

These are not my favorite choices for cartridges, but if I HAD to have JUST 3, it would be:
.22 WMR
.270 Win
.338 Lapua

This is because of availability for brass/ammo. If supply of components were of no concern, it would look more like:
.22 WMR
7mm SAUM
.338 Edge

If it were my favorite 3 cartridges of all time, it would be:

.250 Savage
7mm SAUM
.300 Dakota