I am very dissapointed with Berger bullets regarding the 338 hybrid bullet.

I can't for the life of me figure out why folks think that they've got to have a bullet moving at the speed of friggin light!! Fifty years ago I shot with the All-Army Rifle Team out of Ft. Benning, Ga. Our LR rifles for certain events were 30x338s shooting the 220 gr. SHPMK and even though we could have pushed those bullets faster....our best accuracy was obtained at around 2850 fps! It doesn't do much good to 'blow air' by your target; accuracy is where it's at and generally from my experience the best accuracy is generally a speed that is under a max loading configuration!!

Maybe I'm just old and dumber than shxt!!:cool::rolleyes:

I can't for the life of me figure out why folks think that they've got to have a bullet moving at the speed of friggin light!! Fifty years ago I shot with the All-Army Rifle Team out of Ft. Benning, Ga. Our LR rifles for certain events were 30x338s shooting the 220 gr. SHPMK and even though we could have pushed those bullets faster....our best accuracy was obtained at around 2850 fps! It doesn't do much good to 'blow air' by your target; accuracy is where it's at and generally from my experience the best accuracy is generally a speed that is under a max loading configuration!!

Maybe I'm just old and dumber than shxt!!:cool::rolleyes:

When you are shooting on a known distance course with wind flags; velocity is less important. However, when you are shooting at an unknown distance, in unknown wind conditions, without yard markers, windflags and sighter shots, high velocity (and high BC) widens the window you can be off on your guesstimate and still hit what you are shooting at. That is why long range hunters and snipers strive for as high of a velocity and BC as accuracy will permit.

I'm new at this game, but..

If the acceleration peak is the problem, it would seem that the Weatherby long freebore would allow the bullets to go faster before a 'slump' started. They would have a smoother startup.

Does anyone here have a 338-378 and a supply of the Bergers who can up the velocities Kirby was seeing slump starting at? If not a Wby, maybe pulling the bullets way back from the rifling?

As you can see from my name, a beaten zone works, too, in a pinch... (smile)

I suspect the average member here would be further ahead letting Berger figure this out and then let us know what the issue is/was. Be nice to have one of those ultra high speed cameras too, but I'm not about to buy one to figure out the cause of the variable BCs and deterioration of accuracy at +2900 fps.

wikipedia

"The Beaten Zone is a concept in indirect infantry small arms fire, specifically machine guns. It describes the area between the "first catch" and the "last graze" of a bullet's trajectory. At the first of these points a bullet will hit a standing man in the head, at the last of these points, as the bullet drops, it will hit a standing man in the feet. Anyone standing within the beaten zone will be hit somewhere from head to foot."

edge.

wikipedia

"The Beaten Zone is a concept in indirect infantry small arms fire, specifically machine guns. It describes the area between the "first catch" and the "last graze" of a bullet's trajectory. At the first of these points a bullet will hit a standing man in the head, at the last of these points, as the bullet drops, it will hit a standing man in the feet. Anyone standing within the beaten zone will be hit somewhere from head to foot."

edge.

So at least it didn't go over HIS head. The guy being shot at that is:D...Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.