338 edge Berger hybrid

timeless61

Sorry for another thread regarding the berger 338 300 grain bullet, but i have a question. I have an edge i am shooting smk's right now at 2950 fps. oal of 3.875. 34" barrel. will my pressures most likely be too high for it, or will my pressures be like any other edge out there i am just getting higher velocities due to longer length meaning more powder and the longer than average barrel?

thanks for responses in advance

If I understand correctly, the problems have been mainly in Lapua and larger cases using ball powder with a fast burn rate and high pressure. So if you are using a slower burn rate powder like H-1000 or Retumbo, I would think you would be fine. I know the way they shoot from my rifle I sure would recommend you try them. Plus if you have a problem you can exchange them for the next design when they are completed.

Jeff

cool thanks, using 97 grains of h1000 and cci250. and my current 3.875 smk loads are not in the lands.

it is quite amazing how that combo works to give low es' and also in load testing, not even trying to really shoot for groups with varying powder charges, they just kept making the same hole bigger at 100 yards.

I was shooting 92.5 gr of H-1000 with the SMKs. It was ust a tad hot with the bergers at the same .062 off the lands. So I had to back off to 91.5 gr.

Just FYI, may want to back off a few and work up.

Jeff

oh definitely will, i was very careful with this, i started at like 88 grains and never got pressure signs, and talked to Carlock, and he felt even now it was a little slow for the barrel, but its a lilja which some have said sometimes are a little slower, but i am also shooting at only 900 ft elevation.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts